2000 ford f250 will crank but not start - Diesel Bombers



Ford Powerstroke 99-03 7.3L Discussion of 99-03 7.3 Liter Ford Powerstroke Turbo Diesels

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Diesel Fan
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: west virginia
Posts: 16
Default 2000 ford f250 will crank but not start

Hello im new to this site, was wondering I have a 2000 ford f250 diesel and i was backing out of the driveway and it shut down. it will not start back it will crank but not start. If you put a rag with gas on it on the air intake it will start briefly, then shut back off. Ive checked all the fuses and changed the fuel pump. I was wondering about the cps if there is a way to check it? someone told me if the tach moved when trying to start it was not the cps someone please help!!! when trying to crank it will hit like trying to start but will not
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2009, 04:53 PM
CSIPSD's Avatar
Diesel Bomber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bend OR
Posts: 7,639
Default

You need to check for some codes... See what comes up. I very much doubt your fuel pump was the problem.

Any white smoke? And smoke at all coming out of the tail pipe? Is the tach moving?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Diesel Fan
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: west virginia
Posts: 16
Default

had on computer shows no codes very little white smoke when trying to start and tach barely moves when cranking
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-2009, 06:33 PM
CSIPSD's Avatar
Diesel Bomber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bend OR
Posts: 7,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
had on computer shows no codes very little white smoke when trying to start and tach barely moves when cranking

What kind of scanner did you use? Autozone and stuff will not pick up the Diesel codes...

Pull one of the plugs on top of the HPO res and see if there is oil in there. With the key on does the fuel pump pump? open the drain valve of the filter and see if it comes out.

Un plug the ICP sensor and see if it will fire.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: west virginia
Posts: 16
Default

I did get scanner from autozone what kind should I use?? any way you know of to check codes without scanner? with the key on the fuel pump does pump.. I did unplug the icp sensor and it still would not start. there is oil in the hpo res. I am at a total loss it was running and i was backing it out of the driveway and it just quit and never started back unless putting a rag with gas on the air intake it will then start but will quit very quickly
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7
Default

sounds like a cmp to me. they are very cheap and easy to install. i would say $25 tops from dealer. i would look under and see if you have the old style cmp (black sensor body gold hold down) if you do. i would deff change it. unless you can get your hands on a better scanner. the revised ones are gray body and silver hold down. you might even have a open recall on it. have you taken it in for the cmp recall? the gas on the rag just means your not getting fuel which theres a few possible causes one being the cam sensor, ipr, idm, ext... does the check engine light prove out when you turn the key on?
can you hear the injectors clicking when you try cranking? mabe try this and lmk what you find.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2009, 04:59 AM
Diesel Fan
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: west virginia
Posts: 16
Default

it had a recall on it which i took to a ford dealer i now have the gray cmp on it. what kind of scanner do i try to get ahold of to help pull codes or live data? not sure what the difference is.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7
Default

im not sure what the difference is either. you need a snap on, otc, mentor, ext.. what about the oil level is it in the cross hatch? do you have a oil leak that you know of? were you able to hear the injectors while cranking should sound like a bunch of clicking?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: west virginia
Posts: 16
Default

new fuel pump, new cmp, new fuel filter, oil level is good in the hpo res can hear the injectors while cranking, no oil leak still nothing
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-23-2009, 02:27 PM
CSIPSD's Avatar
Diesel Bomber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bend OR
Posts: 7,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco444 View Post
sounds like a cmp to me. they are very cheap and easy to install. i would say $25 tops from dealer. i would look under and see if you have the old style cmp (black sensor body gold hold down) if you do. i would deff change it. unless you can get your hands on a better scanner. the revised ones are gray body and silver hold down. you might even have a open recall on it. have you taken it in for the cmp recall? the gas on the rag just means your not getting fuel which theres a few possible causes one being the cam sensor, ipr, idm, ext... does the check engine light prove out when you turn the key on?
can you hear the injectors clicking when you try cranking? mabe try this and lmk what you find.
The gray one is NO better then the black... I went to ford when I blew up my rear end... They did the damn recall on my truck and shortly there after I picked up a miss. The gray one has a weaker field and most have noticed more injector issues with it. Get another black one if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
it had a recall on it which i took to a ford dealer i now have the gray cmp on it. what kind of scanner do i try to get ahold of to help pull codes or live data? not sure what the difference is.
You need a diesel specific scanner or someone with Autoenginuity software...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco444 View Post
im not sure what the difference is either. you need a snap on, otc, mentor, ext.. what about the oil level is it in the cross hatch? do you have a oil leak that you know of? were you able to hear the injectors while cranking should sound like a bunch of clicking?
You will NOT hear the injectors firing on a PSD, not unless you have a better ear then me. If you can run a buzz test you will hear them, but on normal crank up... not going to happen.

Get yourself a new CPS and try that.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2002-2004 Ford F250 Super Duty Truck Composite Clear Lens Headlight Pair 1ATony 1A Auto Parts 1 11-23-2015 12:39 PM
1999-2004 Ford F250 Super Duty Truck Front Manual Locking Hub Pair Ford 1C3Z3B396DA 1ATony 1A Auto Parts 1 11-11-2015 11:03 AM
1999-2007 Ford F250 Super Duty Truck Power Textured Black Dual Arm Power - Folding To 1ATony 1A Auto Parts 1 10-29-2015 03:11 PM
Early 04 6.0 Diesel Ford F250 Superduty Crank no start problem ish1521 Ford Powerstroke 03-07 6.0L 1 08-26-2015 09:42 PM
2000 Ford F-350 - The Ultimate Fummins Diesel Bombers General Diesel Related 2 11-16-2014 06:14 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.