IPC sensor - Diesel Bombers



Ford Powerstroke 03-07 6.0L Discussion of 6.0 Liter Ford Powerstroke Turbo Diesels

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: va beach
Posts: 39
Default IPC sensor

what are the signs of the IPC sensor going bad? would it cause a abnormal idle? it doesnt happen all the time, but sometimes at astop light i watch the tach bounce around. i hooked up a code reader at work and none were present. thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-01-2009, 04:39 PM
mysterync's Avatar
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Blowing Rock,NC
Posts: 3,791
Default

Abnormal Idle, Jerky throttle, Miss, Oil leaking down the back of the block , Long start times.....You have to remember that the ICP is in control of the HPO system.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: va beach
Posts: 39
Default

i havent check for the oil yet. but you hit the nail on the head. so i take it that it is bad and needs to be replaced? anybody know the price on that?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-01-2009, 05:22 PM
mysterync's Avatar
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Blowing Rock,NC
Posts: 3,791
Default

Big angry hillbilly will drop in before long, It all depends on where it's at? I think on the 05's is in the valve cover but may be wrong! I know you dont ever offer to change one on a 03 truck!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 PM
04redstroker's Avatar
Diesel Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 256
Default

the rough idle could also a weak FICM IIRC
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Big Angry Hillbilly's Avatar
Diesel Wrench
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 513
Default

Valve cover ICP on that one.

IIRC - sensor is PN 4C3Z - 9F838 - AB but i may be wrong on the suffix. Have them look it up by your VIN to make sure you're getting the right stuff.

Rough idle can be caused by a LOT of different stuff on a 6.0. FICM, ICP, IPR, hell, even ratty engine oil can make it idle rough.

FWIW, I'd get it diagnosed at a reputable place, since "trying out parts" on these motors isn't usually a cheap enterprise.

I think the ICP sensor is over a hundred bucks, if memory serves me rightly. If you do end up replacing the sensor on your own, also replace the pigtail harness. Part number for the pigtail is 5C3Z-12224-A.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Big Angry Hillbilly's Avatar
Diesel Wrench
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterync View Post
I know you dont ever offer to change one on a 03 truck!
Quoted for truth

As well - if the ICP is on the valve cover, the oil leaking at the back of the engine won't be the ICP sensor - as others have stated, the ICP sensor on early build trucks is under the turbocharger, on the top of the HPOP cover. They commonly leak due to their proximity to extreme heat.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-02-2009, 07:12 PM
mysterync's Avatar
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Blowing Rock,NC
Posts: 3,791
Default

I thought about that after I said it, Not to mention the location of the early build ICP sensors is the home of heartache, headache, PIA, the location of all the oil that's ever leaked off your truck, exactly 1 inch in either direction farther than you can reach, not to mention the three known cases of fiberglass poisoning last year came from that general location as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
Quoted for truth

As well - if the ICP is on the valve cover, the oil leaking at the back of the engine won't be the ICP sensor - as others have stated, the ICP sensor on early build trucks is under the turbocharger, on the top of the HPOP cover. They commonly leak due to their proximity to extreme heat.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: va beach
Posts: 39
Default

the oil got changed when the FICM got changed. what else should i tackle? im hooking the computer up tomorrow to run some tests. im sick of the dealer telling me nothing is wrong, but the crazy idle is there. also, the fuel filters are new. thanks hillbilly






Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
Valve cover ICP on that one.

IIRC - sensor is PN 4C3Z - 9F838 - AB but i may be wrong on the suffix. Have them look it up by your VIN to make sure you're getting the right stuff.

Rough idle can be caused by a LOT of different stuff on a 6.0. FICM, ICP, IPR, hell, even ratty engine oil can make it idle rough.

FWIW, I'd get it diagnosed at a reputable place, since "trying out parts" on these motors isn't usually a cheap enterprise.

I think the ICP sensor is over a hundred bucks, if memory serves me rightly. If you do end up replacing the sensor on your own, also replace the pigtail harness. Part number for the pigtail is 5C3Z-12224-A.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3
Default

can anyone tell me where to get a drawing and location of the ipc sensor for a f 250 6 liter (2004)
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exhaust Emission Info DEF/SCR/DPF Jet A Fuel 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 2013+ 8 10-21-2015 03:30 PM
Exhaust Emission Info DEF/SCR/DPF 2007.5 Jet A Fuel 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 3 08-03-2015 10:45 AM
HELP crank sensor or pcm? Mr. Walkway 12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 3 05-11-2015 10:49 AM
TROUBLE CODE P1755 ? robbyS 5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 3 04-16-2015 02:22 PM
how to know if rail fuel pressure sensor is bad Gitana 5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 3 02-18-2015 10:08 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.