08 LMM 0%fuel filter life / Power derate - Page 2 - Diesel Bombers



Chevy/GMC Duramax 07.5 -10 LMM Discussion of Chevy and GMC Trucks with LMM Duramax Turbo Diesel Engines

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 07-03-2015, 01:59 PM
gone ropin's Avatar
Diesel Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hico,Texas
Posts: 286
Default

Yup I'm going now to get it hooked up to a scanner. It's got to be a sensor not working rite
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-11-2016, 01:01 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1
Default Any update

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone ropin View Post
Yup I'm going now to get it hooked up to a scanner. It's got to be a sensor not working rite
I was wondering if you had any update on your issue. I also have the same problem when I hook up my LQ horse trailer. Having hell trying to figure it out.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-17-2016, 09:41 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winder Ga.
Posts: 1
Default

I had the same problem with my 2009. Pulled filter head apart and found it full of rubber fuel line. Removed fuel lines from steel line to engine and found it was coming apart.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3
Default same fuel filter/derating issue 08 d-max

I've got this same issue driving me crazy on one of our fleet trucks- 08 2500HD with the duramax. 156K miles. We installed the airdog system and did a full dpf delete. Running an H&S Mini Maxx tow tune.

When the truck is pulling heavy (#10K+ trailers) and under hard load (like a climbing a grade), the fuel filter will go from 100% to 0% and if I don't back out of the throttle immediately, it will de-rate. When you clear the code 0087 (fuel rail pressure), filter goes back to 100% and full power stays. If you stay in the throttle when the filter message comes on, it de-rates. Coming back from a job in the mountains I just kept my scanner plugged in and reset it every time the filter would drop to 0%.

There doesn't seem to be any issue with driveability, the truck doesn't stumble, hesitate, misfire, nothing. It just de-rates with little warning. Fuel filter changes don't help- I cut open the engine mounted WIX filter and it was very clean. I've inspected all the fuel lines from the tank to the filter, all good.

I haven't checked fuel pressure at the air dog yet but its brand new so not a suspect. I have a feeling I'm dealing with the fuel pressure sensor acting up. Need to get a scanner on it but its hard to duplicate the condition on demand. Idle is good so I think the FPR is OK.

Ideas? I am tired of throwing money at this thing.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-28-2017, 01:56 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
I've got this same issue driving me crazy on one of our fleet trucks- 08 2500HD with the duramax. 156K miles. We installed the airdog system and did a full dpf delete. Running an H&S Mini Maxx tow tune.

When the truck is pulling heavy (#10K+ trailers) and under hard load (like a climbing a grade), the fuel filter will go from 100% to 0% and if I don't back out of the throttle immediately, it will de-rate. When you clear the code 0087 (fuel rail pressure), filter goes back to 100% and full power stays. If you stay in the throttle when the filter message comes on, it de-rates. Coming back from a job in the mountains I just kept my scanner plugged in and reset it every time the filter would drop to 0%.

There doesn't seem to be any issue with driveability, the truck doesn't stumble, hesitate, misfire, nothing. It just de-rates with little warning. Fuel filter changes don't help- I cut open the engine mounted WIX filter and it was very clean. I've inspected all the fuel lines from the tank to the filter, all good.

I haven't checked fuel pressure at the air dog yet but its brand new so not a suspect. I have a feeling I'm dealing with the fuel pressure sensor acting up. Need to get a scanner on it but its hard to duplicate the condition on demand. Idle is good so I think the FPR is OK.

Ideas? I am tired of throwing money at this thing.

That sounds to me like the fuel rail pressure relief valve. Once you pop that thing it will keep popping and at lower pressures which would obviously drop your fuel pressure out but it comes up as low fuel rail pressure. For me it did anyways. I bought a fuel rail plug from PPE it was like 40 bucks. You pull the relief out and put the plug in.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-28-2017, 06:59 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmmmmm View Post
That sounds to me like the fuel rail pressure relief valve. Once you pop that thing it will keep popping and at lower pressures which would obviously drop your fuel pressure out but it comes up as low fuel rail pressure. For me it did anyways. I bought a fuel rail plug from PPE it was like 40 bucks. You pull the relief out and put the plug in.
Wow, is this Justin? Seriously... my diesel shop guy called me yesterday (after this has been on both of our backburners for a few weeks) and said he got me a factory fuel filter delete bowl (since we have the airdog) AND that we should delete that relief valve you just suggested.

We're going to try that next week. Hope it fixes it.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-28-2017, 12:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
Wow, is this Justin? Seriously... my diesel shop guy called me yesterday (after this has been on both of our backburners for a few weeks) and said he got me a factory fuel filter delete bowl (since we have the airdog) AND that we should delete that relief valve you just suggested.

We're going to try that next week. Hope it fixes it.

Thanks for the help!
No I'm not Justin I know a few people that had these issues with their lmms and most of them were told to buy a lift pump or replace filters or rebuild filter head. That fuel rail pressure release is a known pos on the lmms maybe other duramax too. Once you build enough pressure on the rail it opens and then will only get weaker. My truck like I said popped up a low rail pressure code. Good luck bud.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-03-2017, 07:31 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3
Default

We've got some miles on this duramax (over 5K now) since i did this fix and it has not thrown any fuel related codes or derated. Fuel rail plug seems to have fixed it (and hopefully this post not jinxed it).
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2002-2007 Ford F250 Super Duty Truck Power Heated Signal & Clearance Light Textured B 1ATony 1A Auto Parts 1 01-05-2016 01:03 PM
2002-2007 Ford F350 Super Duty Truck Power Heated Signal & Clearance Light Textured B 1ATony 1A Auto Parts 1 12-07-2015 02:09 PM
1999-2007 Ford F250 Super Duty Truck Power Textured Black Dual Arm Power - Folding To 1ATony 1A Auto Parts 1 10-29-2015 03:11 PM
Lmm Reduced power mode dr.d6969 Chevy/GMC Duramax 07.5 -10 LMM 4 02-13-2015 02:37 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.