Diesel In Distress - Support Ticket Need Help ? Broke Down Or in Urgent Need Of Assistance Post Here , Thread Will Be Priority and You have the ability to close your own thread when its fixed . If You Do Not Reply in 10 Days your thread will be closed as we will assume its fixed , You can Reopen YOUR Discussion Topic if you wish .

got fuel, no go

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got fuel, no go

1995 6.5 turbo diesel C2500

I was having a great day today, picked up a 71 GMC longbed, brought it back to the house, loaded up the car onto the trailer dropped wife off at the hairdresser, truck ran like a champ until, I stopped to fuel up. topped it off restarted it ran for about 30 seconds and now it don't want to run.
if I let it sit for a few minutes it will run for about 10 seconds then shut off, if I try to restart right away it'll catch and die.
new PMD about 700 miles ago
new fuel filter about 700 miles ago.
tried replacing the lift pump (no difference) when I changed it only a few drops of fuel came out of the lines. shouldn't I have gotten a steady stream from the tank side?
first time putting in biodiesel blend, should I drain the tank and refill with nonbio.
next on my list is the OPS
I was actually trading the 95 for the 71 but now I have to return the 71 somehow.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:28 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the intlet of your pick up pump. if its an after market relocate pump. i have been reading that the inlet has a screen on it and it can get clogged.
next , unless you have a fass or airdog combo set ups (they have the pump and two stage filter on them). put an inline filter pre pump. if you dont have a pre filter. chances are you clogged up your carter or what ever you put in.
let us know what you find.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:46 PM

haven't got it running yet but I did take the old lift pump and wired it to a separate battery to pump out fuel from tank. this time when I removed the fuel line from the lift pump I got a steady and strong stream of fuel coming out of the fuel line coming from the tank, which being different from when I changed it would indicate a clogged in tank filter.
while draining I watched the fuel coming out and there was probably a teaspoon of debris in the low part of the tube going from pump to fuel can (used a fat clear hose to watch what was coming out).
I will be filling with fresh fuel, then purge system then change fuel filter. that should clear everything out.
I will post here what the cure ends up being.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:25 PM

got fresh fuel in
after probably 20 or 30 seconds of cranking it'll idle perfectly for 46 to 48 seconds then die, a second before it dies it'll do a slight stumble. I'm figuring a fuel delivery issue. I will try a new fuel filter.
other than lift pump under driver seat and injector pump, any other fuel pumps in the system?

Old 12-27-2016, 02:47 PM

after reading around a bit I'm thinking the OPS might be the culprit. My local parts store has an ACDelco one in stock. looks like a PITA to get to.