6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

Major Trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Trouble...

Just bought a new 08 2500 Mega Cab! Have had it for three days, at 319 miles (really) started noticing chugging and real thick smoke and loud knocking. Drove for about 100 miles just trying to get home. At 428 miles finally got a warning of full catalyst 90% in five miles went to 100%! NICE! Called the dealership to find out what the heck! Not sure what to do! Is anyone else having trouble and can you offer advice?

Old 02-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

was the check engine light on? were there any codes? that would help alot on finding out if you had an injector fail or what....

oh ya

Old 02-17-2008, 11:32 PM

Yes the engine light was on after driving quite a while about 100 miles, I don't have anything to read a code. I am taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. Is this a comon problem? Should I try to get my 04 5.9l back from the dealer? Not feeling so great about this purchase at this point!

Old 02-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodge
Yes the engine light was on after driving quite a while about 100 miles, I don't have anything to read a code. I am taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. Is this a comon problem? Should I try to get my 04 5.9l back from the dealer? Not feeling so great about this purchase at this point!

If you will cycle your ignition key to the on position three times quickly, leaving it in the on position the third time, it will display the diagnostic trouble codes on your odometer. For example: A level 2 torque management code looks like this: P0061A There will be a letter, followed by digits, and possibly another letter. You will see dashes while it's running the diagnostic sequence, and if no codes are present, it will display the word "DONE" and then go to your mileage. Otherwise, the trouble codes will be displayed.
When you got the catalyst 80% message, driving for 30 minutes plus at 55mph or higher should have put it into regen mode, and should have remedied the problem. I've heard of a few instances of a faulty DPF system where even that didn't fix it. Worst case scenario is the DPF will have to be replaced...which will be out of the factory's pocket. Depending on what kind of luck they have, they may be able to do a forced regen at the shop and get your problem solved.
I have just over 5600 miles on my truck since I bought it in October and haven't had any problems whatsoever with my DPF. Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing it ever going into regen either, although I do make a trip where I'm at highway speeds or better for approximately an hour at least once a week.
Just another FYI, It's recommended that you run with your exhaust brake on while in town (stop and go driving) which will help keep it from sticking and help keep the turbo from sticking as well. That was passed on to me by the dealer mechanic last time I had a flash done. The 6.7s are having a few teething pains, but I wouldn't write yours off just yet. Hopefully you have a good dealership mech. who will listen to you and be helpful. Mine has been great. Overall I have had almost NO issues with mine..a couple of codes here and there, and two computer flash updates.
I know this has been a long winded post, but hopefully it will help you out. Let us know how things go.
JB

Last edited by ETXBlueRam; 02-18-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Unhappy

Well we took it back to the dealership and they reset the codes because they said it was going into Regen with only 7% instead of 80%. we drove it home which is 51 miles away from the dealership. The truck ran great. I got up and pulled the truck out of the garage and drove it to work which is all highway, about 10 miles out of town the engine started chugging again. Worked all day jumped in the truck and drove home, on the way home it did the same thing, started chugging several times, I do not have any codes on the display. I called the dealer and they are trying to tell me that it is the fuel I have in it. They said to put some Cheveron fuel in it and run it and it should fix the problem. I disagree because the truck already has Stanidine (additive) in it. Which should fix any lubricity issues. The truck is now on 1/2 of a tank of gas and the Dealerships advice is to fill the truck back up now with Chevron fuel instead of Flying J fuel. My thought is to continue run the tank and fill up with new fuel when the tank reads a 1/4.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:59 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts

Shouldnt be fuel, unless you happened to get some bad grade or water, but you should have all kinds of water in fuel lights flashing then...

Cant see one fuel being differnt then the other...likely comes from the same refinery anyways...

Old 02-20-2008, 02:51 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I highly doubt its your fuel causing your problem. If it was you truck should have acted up as soon as it left the dealer with everything reset, not 60+ miles later. They said is was going into regen at 7% instead of the 80%, so that ought to tell the dealer you have some sort computer sensor related issue not fuel. Did they take a fuel sample? Like Longhorn said the fuel in your region probably comes from the same refinery. Where do you live? You said you're 50 miles from that dealer. How far away is the next dealer? It sounds like that dealer is just using fuel as excuse because they don't know whats causing your problem. I had a dealer tell a buddy that bad fuel was the cause for an injector problem and that warranty wouldn't cover it. He went to the dealer took a fuel sample out of his truck and had it privatly analyzed. It passed. He showed the results to the service manager and got his truck fixed under warranty.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

If it is the fuel (this is possible) change the fuel filter(s) and drain the tank. The absolute number 1 problem with the new trucks is poor fuel quality. You must use a quality fuel that is ULSD or you will be in trouble. Your fuel add's will only fix so much.

Where abouts are you located?

Chevron fuel is ALL we use along with the odd gulp of PS.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:14 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Don't let them find out about the additives. Warranty will be no more.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:51 PM

I live in wyoming. The salesman himself drove up today and picked up my truck and dropped off a temporary vehicle in the place of our new truck. The truck was chugging and blowing smoke for him too! I did appreciate that - however, I just want the truck to run. I tried to have the truck read the codes, by cycling the key- and I didn't get any codes at all! I still have no engine failure light. When the truck runs it runs well! I can't help but think that it is something electrical with the lack of engine light and no system errors for so long with all of the malfunctions! The additive was sold to us by the dealer for the fuel symptoms, so they thought! I sure apprecitae the feed-back from all of you and if you can think of anything else that could be causing the problems don't hesitate to share.