6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

WTH!!!! 6.7 Dissappointment!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WTH!!!! 6.7 Dissappointment!!!!!!

Let me start off by saying I owned a 2002 ford excursion, switched to Dodge after that mistake!!! and bought a 2002 cummins did a bunch of stuff to it and absolutely loved that truck... then decided to get a newer truck and in 05 I bought std cab 4wd cummins did a bunch of stuff to it and kept it till this year when wife talked me into upgrading to the '12... So I traded the old faithfull in with 58K miles, pulled the check book out and put a sizeable down and walked out with a loaded laramie!! Figured this is it; last truck I'll every need!!! Boy I am beginning to think biggest mistake!!!!!! I love the ride the ammemnities, but what the hell!!! This truck has spent 3 weeks at the dealer with less than 800mi due to heater a/c issue replaced duct system 3 times and then ended up being heater core!!!! So at 2600 miles I put a cold air intake from Bills Custom Intake on awesome kit straight forward install my truck seriously went from 15.7 miles to 18.2 hard math calculation!!! NOT the dash calculation.. 800 miles went by and engine light came on so I took it to the dealer and found code and reflashed computer from the 12350331AD to the new 12350331Ak (service bulletin 18-013-12) Now this damn thing gets 13.9 mpg with 3900 miles on it!!!!! WTF I am sooo tired of this!!! I know what people are going to say but damn I am wondering if I should put money into this thing????? I planned for the deletes as soon as smarty comes out with the programmer for the '12 but I will not go for any other programmer as far as programmers but anything else I am gained for suggestions.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:04 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

i have a smarty on my 08 but have sold a lot of h&s units for the 11 and 12 models.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by diesel pap
i have a smarty on my 08 but have sold a lot of h&s units for the 11 and 12 models.
I am concerned with the H&S programmer product... they try to be first on the market with their programmer but do not have all the bugs worked out with their system and at the cost of an ecm being first isn't a priority of mine I prefer to do it right the 1st time!!!!!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Diesel Fan

man!!!!!!! 833 miles later the engine light came back on!!! right before it did I had the trucks cruise control on flat ground doing 55mph turbo spooled up like it was under load then the wastegate opened then on came the light the code is P-0101 2nd time!!! Does anyone know if the cold air intake can cause this to come on? It is related to the Mass air sensor... Any ideas on how to take care of this as the dealer instructed to put the stock airbox back on to try and single that out...

Old 04-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this probably doesnt have much correlation with your truck, but I had the same problem with a honda when I put a CAI on it. The light would come on and I would take it to the dealer. No code would show up. The light would go away. A few hundred miles the same thing again, and again. Finally I just learned to live with it. The light would come on and go away by itself in a day or two. That's why I've been kind of reluctant to put an aftermarket CAI on the truck. And some people even claim they saw a decrease in fuel economy with some of them. Cummins designs the stock airbox to work perfectly for the truck. The curves of the pipe, resistance, etc. All designed for your engine. Personally I will probably end up just staying with a drop in AFE filter. Not worth the headache IMO

Old 04-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO you should just put the stock intake back in, and run the OEM filter. I have read tons of information, opinions, etc stating that the stock setup flows just as good until horsepower is significantly increased.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

call the mfg of your cai and see if they can help. most of the trucks customers i have sold too already have either smarty or on the later trucks h&s tuning.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a new guy but my 2011 was kind of a pig, I went with a 4" turbo back, H&S mini max, S&B intake, full delete and used the H&S trans tune, the system is incredible, the power feels double, the mileage went up quite a bit, got the full deal for around 2k, put 10,000 miles on it set up this way without a hic up, I love it and glad I did it.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my dealer wouldn't even look at my truck with any modifications from stock for any reason?

Old 04-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

MAF calibration on the 6.7 needs to see turbulence from the air filter. Can't see any practical reason why they would do that, possibly to discourage mods. You can probably get around it like JP hotwheels says doing all the deletes with a programmer that will alleviate that condition, but could be a gamble with the warranty.

Quick Reply: WTH!!!! 6.7 Dissappointment!!!!!!