6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

6.7L with a Smarty Jr. throwing egt codes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.7L with a Smarty Jr. throwing egt codes.

Ok, I'm having trouble with my 08 cummins. I just bought it and it came with a Smarty jr. and it was set to the level three performance. When I test drove it, it was fine. After I signed papers they washed it and filled it up at their pumps with diesel. On the way home with the cruise set at 70 mph I noticed it blowing black like I was getting on it, which I wasn't. If you tapped the pedle or the brake it stopped. When I got it home I adjusted the Smarty to Towing to see if it made a difference, and it didn't. I put it on stock and default and it didn't smoke until I hammered on it but after a while the check engine light came on and it threw and EGT code on banks 1 2 and 3. I dont mind the smoke on take off or when I'm getting on it but not at cruising speeds. (it shouldn't smoke then anyway) I've tired everything. I've moved it to stock, moved the timing to level 2 for less smoke, and it was ok, then the EGT code. I move it to anything other than the stock or default setting and it blows smoke at cruising speeds. Does this sound like a computer issue or a programer issue? And is there away to disable the EGT sensors?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it has the me file loaded on it it shouldnt bring up any codes it should completely turn off all the emission equipment next time you plug it in read the screen and it should tell you what file it is

Old 06-26-2011, 09:24 PM

me file? All I know about the tuner is that it has default, stock, fuel milage, towing and performance. You can adjust the timing and torque and power settings. I can read codes and clear them but that's all I've found. Is there a down load for it? If I do and EGR delete kit would it stop the heavy smoke at cruising speeds or the EGT check engine light on the stock and default settings?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Diesel Fan

It stands for middle east where the emissions aren't required but they offer it to us so we can run code free here's a link for it.

MADS Electronics - Smarty - CaTCHER - Download

Just choose the 6.7 me and it will tell you what to do from there and it should stop the smoking if you do the egr delete

Old 06-26-2011, 09:59 PM

I didn't download it but it say to Remove the EGR system entirely. Then all components, EXCEPT the EGR actuator motor, can be unplugged and taken off. I just have to either use a block plate on the EGR or find a way to plug it with the actuator motor off and zip tied out of the way. I guess it's a cheaper and easier way of doing an EGR delete.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Diesel Fan

I don't gave anything plugged in on mine and I'm code free for 20k I'm running the 23me tnt and it work good for me

Old 06-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

as soon as you plug your smarty to your truck read the numbers it sayd acrossed is what he is talkin about and i ran for along time with the egrmotor not pluged in and rany fine and code free and i heard that it could throw your truck in limp mode or something and you would lose some hp but i pluged it in and i think its bs cause it runs no different

Old 06-30-2011, 09:36 PM

Ok, I got the newest version of the ME program downloaded in the smarty, I unhooked the EGR untill I get my delete kit and I already had the DPF delete. The truck smokes when I stand on it and only when I stand on it.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

i knew you could get it.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:43 PM

YOu kick *** Tony, thanks a ton! I was fixing to take the truck back.