6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

I took a 4 hour trip yesterday.. heard a odd noise...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I took a 4 hour trip yesterday.. heard a odd noise...

Running on the highway, cruise on like I do all teh time. Truck was in boost going up a hill, about 75 mph... I got to the top of the hill and it made a couple coupds, almost like a trap door slapping shut, seemed to come from over on the passenger's side....

Could that be a wastegate slapping shut or something? Truck's got about 42K on it now, s&b intake is the only thing I've done to it....

Curious, I never heard it make that sound before, truck did it twice, hesitated for a second when it did it, then it returned to normal, turbo whistle got a little lower, other then that there was no changes, mpg stayed about the same 17 it's been since the bigger tires went on, etc.....

Old 03-23-2011, 01:42 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

its your throttle blade on the driver side of your truck mine did it when i was pulling the only time it would do it is when it got any type of a load on iti know exactly what your talkin about they make a delete for it 40 bux in ebay but might give you codes sense your truck is mostly stock but i took my truck in they had it for 3 weeks put new injectors and was fixin to put a turbo and i got mad came and got my truck and i had found that delete on ebay prevously and bought it and put it on prob solved not sure what it does but nothing on a modified truck i know that for sure but give you problems

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

if you do try the delete you will need three bolts that are shorter than the ones in the stock bs i just robbed mine out of an old three wheeler layin around the house just because they are metric

Last edited by coors_man_2005; 03-23-2011 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well I had this slapping sound happen again.. yesterday leaving work, truck was still cold,it hesitated and did it agin, but it was more a whack whack whack sound and then it went away... once it got up to temp it seemed to go away but then when I got off the highway it was like the exhaust brake was stuck for a second, then it made the slap sound and went back to normal.

Truck has about 55K on it now, just the s&b done to it, I know people are going to tell me to delete everything but I'm in CT and they sniff/visual the trucks and obd2 scan so it's not an option.

Any ideas what this could be? I run the exhaust brake all the time, and I don't drive it light footed... tow with it every now and then, etc. It gets it's fare share of wide open getting on the highway every day, etc....

Any ideas?

Old 11-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow all this emissions **** on diesels is stupid there just fcking up good trucks

Old 11-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

im almost a100% its the throttle blade dodge had my truck for about 3 wks and still didnt fix it then i deleted it and solved my prob make dodge warranty it

Old 11-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I agree it's something stupid. Today on my way to the gym, when I started off on the ride the truck would act really wierd.. give it a touch of throttle it was fine, little more and it would bog like crazy then finally take off.... I got on the highway, blasted it at about 75 in 5th for 15 or so miles.. got it into a regen... when I got out of the truck at the gym it was pinging from heat in the exhaust like crazy (the sound of it cooling off not engine knock) and the exhaust smelt like heat, which I have noticed a couple times before.

An hour later when I left, it was fine, like there was never a problem I drove the whole way home, and nothing, not one funny sound, no funny feelings, nothing.

Whole 25 mile ride to work it was fine too, 70 to 75 on the highway, nothing, it behaved as it should.

Now, the only thing I can say is saturday I did let it warm up for 10 min idling, and then I changed the oil and cleaned the S&B air filter, then parked the truck. I never took it out afterwards.. not sure if that had anything to do with it at all, but it did sit for a day after the maintenance, something it usually doesn't do.

I can't imagine that had anything to do with it though. Not like a soaked the filter in oil or something stupid like that... I know better.

Truck is going into the stealership Friday to get the fuel filter done and rotate the tires, tires becuase I'm lazy, fuel filter because I haven't figured out how to change the thing yet, and it's got about 14K on it, so it's due.

I'm sure they will plug into the truck while it's there, they always do. At this point the overhead still says system o.k. and there's no codes thrown (checked today just to see, nothing it's fine) so whatever it is, it's not tripping the computer off.. I'm somewhat surprised it didn't with the way it bogged today. I thought it was going ot die on me or something.. it's never done that before.

If it weren't for CT's stupid emmissions, I'd have deleted the EGR and strait piped the thing from the turbo back already. But, with a sniffer test and an OBD2 scan I can't get the thing thru unless I put it all back to stock, then take it, drive it for a week, take it in, then come home and rip everything back off again. That would be way too much of a PITA to be worth it at this point.

I wish we had a software like HPtuners that works with GM stuff... I can set everything "ready no report" with that software with the ls cars and delete everything off the gas engines, and I understand that software works with the duramax too... If we had something like that, then we'd just have to pass the visual, and the tailpipe test.. meaning I could just turn off everything so it won't trip the light on the dash, and just swap the cat and dpf back in... go thru the test, and then take it back off. That wouldn't be so bad. But putting the EGR back on, the DPF, the cat, then driving around without the tuner for a few days to get everything to read ready... go test it, and then rip it all back off, that's a pain.

Anyway to get this thing thru emmissions in CT with everything ripped off? Or should I just leave it alone and hope for the best?

Really wish at this point I could have found a 98 with the 12 valve motor and mechanical injection... if I could have found a mint one when I was ready to buy back in early 09 I would have snagged it and felt good about it.

I'm really starting to wonder, if a 1/2 ton truck will pull my enclosed trailer with the race car. Trailer weigh's probably 8500 to 8800 with the car and everything in it. With a set of helper air bags I think the truck would support the weight.

Either that or I should have just bought a gas 3/4 ton. At least I could have just thrown an air intake and a full exhaust on that (build that myself) and I wouldn't be wondering if the truck was about to die on me.