6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

New to 6.7 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to 6.7 question

I just bought a 07.5 4x4 dually with 43k on it bone stock. My question is I am getting 14-15mpg empty so the truck says and 11-12 pulling my car hauler. Is this normal? Also the truck rolls black smoke just like my old 5.9 did when you get into the gas is this normal everybody I talk to says it souldnt. I am talking a huge cloud of black smoke everytime exhasut is all stock and everything is this normal? If not why? My dad just bought the same truck except a 2010 and his mileage is like 16-17 empty and 13-14 with the same trailer and doesnt smoke at bit this is why I am curious. I had it at the dodge house everything checked out on it I was just wondering about the mpg and the smoke.
Also is a dpf and egr delete my best bet for improving mpg? Will it help enough to pay for itself.
thanks

Old 10-18-2010, 12:29 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something isn't right here, I can think of ten reasons it is smoking (black), egr unplugged (dealer would catch), egr removed, (dealer would catch) programmer, (dealer would catch) and so on but absolutely ZERO how in the world the most incapable "dodge house" in the world says everything checked out?

give us the name of your "dodge house" and we will call them, I want to know the answer as bad as you do.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 AM

Yeah the dodge house here isnt very good it was throwing a hard downshift and I had to take it in 2 times before they noticed it when it was hooked to computer. Before they fixed it. The egr is plugged in and they did the most current recalls on it in the computer so it should of wiped clean if there was a programmer. I just dont know what to do there is only one dodge house anywhere close at it cost me $85 bucks everytime they just look at it.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlackJeep
Yeah the dodge house here isn't very good it was throwing a hard downshift and I had to take it in 2 times before they noticed it when it was hooked to computer. Before they fixed it. The egr is plugged in and they did the most current recalls on it in the computer so it should of wiped clean if there was a programmer. I just don't know what to do there is only one dodge house anywhere close at it cost me $85 bucks everytime they just look at it.
I can only speak from my experience, but prior to buying mine, I had two friends that had repairs out of warranty. One had bought the truck new and one bought at 40k miles.

Both were 07 6.7's. Both went to one of our better Dodge dealers and turbos' were replaced and egr systems cleaned. The second owner truck called the Dodge National number and mentioned the egr and soot problems and asked for help instead of demanding and he was taking car of just three months ago with 46k miles. Most likely dodge has records that yours has been in for the same thing and that should help.

My 07 6.7 had 13k miles just a month ago and they replaced the turbo and egr. Call up the Dodge national number and use the "you catch more flys with honey" approach and it can't hurt to ask.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:36 PM

Ok thanks yeah I didnt even realize that the black smoke was uncommon until my dad got his. But mine smokes alot like the whole back side of my fender is stained black from the smoke. And it doesnt seem to have as much power as it did when I bought it 3 months ago. There is a check engine light on and I ask them to look into it last time they said it was nothing major and it would be a month before they could look into it becasue they were busy. Why did they have to replace the turbo on those trucks you were talking about.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:00 PM

No smoke is the rule with the 6.7L. You have bigger problems, sooted turbo, clogged Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), EGR clogged, etc. It needs help.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I just bought a 07.5 4x4 dually with 43k on it bone stock. My question is I am getting 14-15mpg empty so the truck says and 11-12 pulling my car hauler. Is this normal? .
Also is a dpf and egr delete my best bet for improving mpg? Will it help enough to pay for itself.
thanks
Pretty much dump the emissions system the egr is no good for the motor or the turbo on your smoke.... mine never smoked before it was deleted I'd say take it to a "good" dealer before you delete

Last edited by dodgeram082500; 10-18-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 PM

Ok thanks for the replys I will see where there is a good dodge house around here. And see what they can tell me.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

Ok thanks for the replys I will see where there is a good dodge house around here. And see what they can tell me.
Where are you located? Somebody on here might be able to recommend a dealership or shop for you.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:21 PM

I am located in Decatur. The dodge dealership here said it would be a month wait just to look at a check engine light. So needless to say I dont have much faith in them.

Quick Reply: New to 6.7 question