6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

68RE question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:26 PM
FormerVendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 68RE question.

Do these trannys have a limp mode? I have a Black maxx on and that is it for now. Today i had it on high and got on it for a bit and it acted like it when into what i would call a limp mode, just stalled out for a second, when it did it i let off and when i gas it throttle again it was fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:33 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

My truck shut down 1 or 2 times before i did any thing to it. I would stomp it to the floor it would take off than shut down, nothing, as soon as i left off and got back on it easy it would be fine like nothing ever happend.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:30 PM
FormerVendor

Ya thats what mine did, what did you do to fix it, tcm program? Thanks, is it a limp mode anyone?

Old 01-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck would do that when i would do a dounut or power break it...then i got my trans rebuilt with mega rebuild kit from suncoast now it doesnt do it!!!

Old 01-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by R&RDiesel
Do these trannys have a limp mode? I have a Black maxx on and that is it for now. Today i had it on high and got on it for a bit and it acted like it when into what i would call a limp mode, just stalled out for a second, when it did it i let off and when i gas it throttle again it was fine. Any ideas? Thanks.
The 68RFE does have a limp mode. If and when it does go into limp mode, you will see the MIL(lightning bolt) and the transmission will be locked into fourth gear, until either you have the problem fixed if it's a hard code, or you stop, turn the truck off and then upon restart the computer doesn't sense anything is wrong.
Describe your stall a bit better for me. Did you notice the rpms going up and you not going anywhere until you let off the throttle a bit? and when it took off on you, did it feel like somebody kicked you in the bumper?
If that's the case, then what happened is you flashed your converter. I have done it with mine several times even when it was all stock. I'd come around a corner and get on it hard, and it would feel kind of like a gasser when it downshifted, but as soon as I let up on it a bit, it would grab, and take off fine. It will do the same if you're rolling along about 30mph or so and stand on it, and it tries to downshift.
Having a programmer only magnifies it. If your transmission is still stock, I don't recommend nailing the throttle too hard unless the converter is locked up. Take the torque the Cummins makes even stock, and then add more power, and your converter will cry uncle in a hurry.
Have you checked to see if you have any codes active?

Last edited by ETXBlueRam; 01-21-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

Found some very interesting info yesterday. It seems TransGo has modified their 45/545 RFE kits to work with our trucks. The reprogramming kit also addresses the 2-3 neutral issue.
Here's a link to the page. Look at the 45RFE-HD2 kit.

Chrysler Dodge Reprogramming Kits

Old 01-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R&RDiesel
Ya thats what mine did, what did you do to fix it, tcm program? Thanks, is it a limp mode anyone?
Nothing did it once and that was it ran fine after that. Than at 12k miles the trans went out. got a new one put in. Than it has done it one time afer that. Now i have the Smarty on it and have not had it do it yet. But I am only up to 21k miles now

Old 01-27-2010, 08:11 PM
FormerVendor

When it does it it does not throw any codes, does not get locked into 4th gear.It acts like it goes into nuetral,i let off as soon as it does it, but when i give it throttle it is fine right after it happened. Kinda a wierd deal.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

smarty has my converter slipping. when i am towing and converter is locked , i get a shudder. i know i am running to much power but i am wondering if a triple disc will hold catcher 7

Old 02-07-2010, 04:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by diesel pap
smarty has my converter slipping. when i am towing and converter is locked , i get a shudder. i know i am running to much power but i am wondering if a triple disc will hold catcher 7
Im sure it would, with everything on high i do get some shudder every once in a while.but thats not what i am experiencing.

Quick Reply: 68RE question.