6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

New Truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Truck

I am a new and first time diesel truck owner.

I bought a 07 6.7l 2500 and so far I love it... Had it regen on me the first day and that was interesting to say the least but performed and ended with little trouble.

I primarily use this truck as a daily driver and I pull my 28 foot cabin cruiser and that's about it.

This truck has WAY more than enough power to pull anything I'd ever throw at it. However, it would be nice to improve the fuel economy. Oddly enough it seems doing so also improves power so I'm not against that. Right now empty the truck gets between 18-21mpg according to the EVIC overhead.

I saw some people talk about the smarty doing these things. And that might be my best option; I am just not sure. If i do go with smarty program is it something that I need to have around at all times or can I find someone locally that has one set it and forget it? As 700 or so bucks is a pretty penny for someone who just use it once.
(mmmm Showtime Rotisseri)

Appreciate any assistance

Old 08-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratualtions DanS. You have made a good choice.

In regards to Smarty, that is the best all around for driving, haulling heavy loads and whatever else you might want in between.
If you ask about need, you really do not need anything, but if you like more power and better MPG, then Smarty will be the one I recommend.

Before you buy the used Smarty, be sure that it was unloaded from his truck, otherwise you will not be able to use it. When Smarty is used, you can not use it for other trucks unless the original ECM software was loaded into the truck.
Read about Smarty at Madselectronics web site and then before you buy it, test it first to be sure it is returned to it's original state.

MRowsh

Old 08-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

We had good luck with the 6.7L Smarty and Edge Juice with Attitude. Add a high flow filter and you will be good to go until you want more.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by MRowsh
Congratualtions DanS. You have made a good choice.

In regards to Smarty, that is the best all around for driving, haulling heavy loads and whatever else you might want in between.
If you ask about need, you really do not need anything, but if you like more power and better MPG, then Smarty will be the one I recommend.

Before you buy the used Smarty, be sure that it was unloaded from his truck, otherwise you will not be able to use it. When Smarty is used, you can not use it for other trucks unless the original ECM software was loaded into the truck.
Read about Smarty at Madselectronics web site and then before you buy it, test it first to be sure it is returned to it's original state.

MRowsh
If I may add to that... If you hook the Smarty up to your truck and the stock program hasn't been loaded back into the previous truck(assuming you are considering a used one), the only thing you will be able to do with it is read and clear trouble codes. The Smarty VIN locks itself to only one truck at a time.
MRowsh is right about seeing better mileage in addition to more power. I also suggest that you look into deleting the EGR, and DPF, if you aren't concerned with your warranty. A free breathing cold air intake such as the S&B will help as well.

Last edited by ETXBlueRam; 08-12-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats good to know... will the smarty work if you have the latest flash software as of aug first

Old 08-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

It should, but you might want to contact Bob Wagner with MADS Electronics and make sure. Better safe than sorry.
I'm still running the AR flash on mine, which was current as of Jan '09. I haven't had any problems at all since I loaded the ME14 software... so I'm leaving it alone.
The only 6.7s MADS says it won't work on are some of the '09s after a certain build date.(I don't remember what the last build that works is).

Last edited by ETXBlueRam; 08-15-2009 at 02:32 PM.