6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

CEL on but no problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CEL on but no problems

while driving my truck today my CEL came on,but the truck still runs fine & the overhead says system ok. is there a way to check this with out scan tool? my overhead has told me that catalyst full on 2 different accasions so i took truck on open road & it cleaned itself but the CEL never came on. just wondering what the CEL is. any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-10-2009, 10:38 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

i would just take it to autozone or advanced and have them scan it for codes

Old 07-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

Get in the truck with the door closed. Put your key in the ignition, and turn it to the "on" (not start) position and back to the off position. Do this three times fairly quickly ...On Off, On Off, On.. at which time you should see ----- come up on your odometer. wait while it runs the diagnostic loop, and it will display the trouble code or codes present.
Sometimes it helps to have a notepad to write them down.

There is a sticky thread at the top of the 6.7 forum that has a list of trouble codes. Look them up on that list, and they will tell you what the codes pertain to. If you still have questions as to what the codes are, post them up here, and somebody will be able to help you with them.

Sometimes it takes more than one try to get the codes to come up. If you should get a
P0513 code on a second or third try, it's nothing to worry about.. as it only amounts to the computer whining that you tried to pull them again too quickly. The P0513 will also come up on occasion if you shut the truck off and try to restart it too quickly. Some of the codes, will reset themselves after "X" number of key start cycles, if the computer doesn't sense that particular problem present. P0513 is an example of one that will reset itself.
Hope that helps.

The following users liked this post:
dragrcr (07-12-2009)
Old 07-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

my CEL stays on as well, it will go off sometimes but the code i get is a P0489 which has something to do with the EGR valve not opening and closing properly but i havent seen any difference in the way my truck runs so screw it!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by raptr85
my CEL stays on as well, it will go off sometimes but the code i get is a P0489 which has something to do with the EGR valve not opening and closing properly but i havent seen any difference in the way my truck runs so screw it!!!
If you do notice a difference have it looked at. Last time mine acted up and threw that code, they ended up replacing the EGR bypass valve, the CCV filter, and cleaned the turbo and egr cooler out. Made a big difference in the way it ran afterward, too.
Or.. you could do like I did and loosen some bolts and nuts here and there and "help" things fall off.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

it is always funny to watch parts just "fall off" LOL

Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Diesel Wrench

Poor little things were all bunched up in a pile by the shop scared to death Lucus and I were going to hurt them.
I even found another stray DPF for free yesterday. Got the makings of a stealth system now.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Diesel Fan

took my truck to my buddy that works at dodge dealer & he checked code. it was something to do with turbo boost not detected. he cleared code & said for me to bring it in that they would probably have to do a turbo cleaning & possibly hange dpf. i want rid of all this dpf-egr ****.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

do like jim and lucus did and watch it fall off and give it the bird when it is laying in a pile next to the house.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

sounds like its time for a Smarty, Expandit Exhaust and a EGR Delete.

Quick Reply: CEL on but no problems