6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

Need legal help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need legal help

I will make this as short as I can. I bought a 2007 Dodge ram 2500. I had to drive two hours to pick the truck up. When I picked it up the check engine light was on. They agreed to fix the problem, but I didn't drive two hours to not bring home the truck. I took the truck back to them and picked it up a few days later. They said it was an ecu module that need to be fixed. I drove back down there and picked it up. The next morning the check engine light came back on. They said they would fix it to bring it back. This time they said a sensor came unplugged, simple fix. On they way home the light came on again.
I told them if I had to bring the truck back it was staying. They told me to get it fixed at a local dealer and send them the bill. The local dealer did all the updates on the truck and put a new o2 sensor in it. The light came back on the next day. I took it back to the local dealer, they said that the dpf will need replaced, covered under the dodge warrenty. They ordered the new dpf and tore the exhaust apart. The privious owner gutted the catalytic converter and that voided the warrenty. The complete fix for my truck would be about six to seven thousand dollars, not in my budget. The dealership down south would not agree to pay for the part that the local dealer had bought, but said they would fix my truck in house. I do NOT trust the dealership down south, and the local dealership has my truck held hostage. I was told that it was illegal to sell a truck that the emissions has been tampered with. Should I make the dealership down south pick the truck up and deliver it when its done? Should I talk to a lawyer?:arg Please help!!!!

:a rgh:

Old 04-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Diesel Fan
Default It is forbotten

Yes it is unlawful for a registered dealer to sell a vehicle, knowing that the emissions equipment is missing or has been tampered with. This dealer may argue that he was unaware of any tampering. You will have to check with your local agencies and report the incident, you do not need a lawyer. Many owners of these trucks change the exhaust system to gain performance. These changes remove the emissions components. It is unlawful only if you drive over the road. Off road, farm use and competition tracks makes it O.K. Some of the competition exhaust systems use electronics that will not "throw"a code. Google "DPF delete" and look at what should have been done to your truck. It was suggested to me that I gut the stock / emissions exhaust system. I opted to replace it with a kit and unplug / block the EGR. I am very happy with the results.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Diesel Fan

It has been a week and still I don't have my truck. I feel like the dealers are forcing me to take the next step. This has been the worst truck buying experience I have ever had. Now all both dealers are saying they have tried to reach each other and have not been successufull. Someboby is not being honest, but, I think that is a dealers job. Lawyers might have to get involved.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something sounds shady there. I had a problem with the VW dealer here and I had to contact VW Corporate to get things straightened out. Maybe try calling Chrysler and if that doesnt work, Id say lawyer up. Good luck to ya.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get it back and go get a smarty and exh + egdr delete kit

Old 05-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Diesel Fan

Both dealers are saying bring on the lawyer, both are sticking to there guns. I have been with out a truck for a week and a half. All I know is I am the only one getting screwed. I have yet to this day found a truck dealer that is honest and has the customer as a priority.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:41 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

Before you go spending money on an attorney, get in touch with the regional Chrysler rep. That may help get your problem solved without having to waste time in court.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Diesel Fan

Got my truck back, but its still broken. Local dealer says it needs a new cat and dpf. I think the dealer down south might put used parts on it because of the cost of the parts. He mentioned picking up a truck like mine at an auction. Not sure I like what I hear. Is it even legal to do that?

What would you do?

Old 05-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

x2 on getting a hold of Chrysler, the manufacturers are pretty good at keeping their dealers in line.

Shitty deal though, best of luck

Old 05-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

what has not been said is the dealer down south where you purchased the truck a Dodge/Chrylser dealer? if you call chrysler on this and they are not a chrysler dealer you have no leg to stand on other than going to the state attorney general and filing a formal complaint there. I find it hard to believe that the selling dealer (if a chrysler dealer) would not find that the emissions equipment was tampered with. when I worked for Chrysler, the dealership purchased a truck at the auction, brought it to the shop for the PDI (pre delivery inspection) and it had a CEL. the tech started to diagnose it and found that it needed a new DPF, he removed it and found it was gutted (just like yours). the dealership found out how much it was going to cost to replace it and they said HELL NO. They called the auction and they (Mannheim) had to buy it back from us.

you really have only a couple choices.

1. get your truck back and buy a DPF delete kit (electronics like Smarty or XRT) and an EGR delete kit and forget about it and get better mileage.
2. if the selling dealer is a chrysler dealer, contact chrysler customer service and file a complaint. don't just call once either. call like a tweaker and keep calling to get them off their tails!
3. if the selling dealer is not a chrysler dealer, contact local attorney general and file a complaint and watch how fast one of the dealers start fixing things. (again with the tweaker thing. keep calling and buggin the hell out of them)