6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

Buying a new08 finally. Any help I can get

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new08 finally. Any help I can get

I'm looking at buying a dodge finally after having my 04 Ford Harley truck stolen last week. I've been a ford guy but now with the bi-turbo I'm just not sold. What can you guys tell me about the 08 with the 6 spd. etc. I want the good, the bad and the ugly stories.

Thanks in advance

Old 10-19-2008, 11:21 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 259 Likes on 201 Posts

The things I have heard, is that some guys have had a lot of problems with the DPF getting clogged all the time and that the fuel mileage is horrible.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:40 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

From what i heard dont Idle it very much that is contributing to the DPF clogging up, the fuel mileage from what ive heard has been bad, and also something about the turbo getting dirty and the vanes sticking and then the dealership has do something to clean it.

They do pull like all get out just like the old 5.9's its just more gidgets and doodads that drag the mileage down like crazy.

that seems to be the biggest complaints is the mileage and the DPF clogging up other than that drive her hard everyonce in a while to get the exhaust hot enough to clear the DPF and have fun with her

Old 10-20-2008, 07:29 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still have two pickups with Cummins. The 2007 is with the new engine. I like what I have seen so far. I have 24K+ on it as of this last week. I work it hard.
The 6.7L engines was designed for work trucks, not Sunday trucks. You have to work them hard. The auto trany on these new ones can take some serious abuse and keeep on going strong. I do not like the DPF and also the EGR system, but that is the crap we have to put up because of the tree huggers and the environmental vacos!!!

So, if you are looking for one tough hard working heavy duty engine, that is the 6.7L Cummins with the 68 Auto trany.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Diesel Fan

Should I be looking for an 05-06 instead of the 08? It does seem as everyone is having problems with the truck. The dealer here is blowing the truck at a very good price, this is one of the reasons I'm looking at it. The other reason is, I don't think I like the idea of the Fords bi-turbo.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you delete some parts you will be ecstatic with an 08. Some people have a hard time doing that and risking losing their warranties but it's either that or possibly deal with constant soot buildup issues and dealer visits. Not all trucks have problems but I think there is a majority that do. I believe this is the same for all the three mfrs too.
Losing the emissions crap will also gain you about 3-4 mpg. I am really happy with my 08 that gets 16-17 mpg in town.....

Old 10-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Diesel Fan

I just drove an 08 with 11,800 miles on it. I took it up a big hill and punched it. It got up to 2700 rpm and started sputtering and surging all the way up. Is this the problem with the DPF? I read a thread that indicated it's a $5,000 repair on the dealer of course. I drove an 06 with 38" tires and a monster lift on the same hill. That kicked butt going up, although no jake brake on the way down. I guess I could live without it.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

The other item I'm afraid of is that I live in Southern California and you know we'll be the first one to adopt the smog testing on these trucks. I wouldn't have a second thought in taking all the crap off, but I'd have to put it back on for the smog tests. Not to mention having to do it in the first place has put me off.

This of course means the end of modifying the engines to achieve the HP you really want. Oh the pain of it all.......

Last edited by GDief; 10-23-2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Go RAVENS!!!!!!!!!
Received 229 Likes on 113 Posts

Look for an 07' 5.9. That's the one you want.
DPF deletes are getting more and more popular with great results. But then you become your warranty station.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Scott's right but Man that 6 speed auto sure is nice. If my truck got smashed today by that big dumptruck in Scott's avatar I am not sure if I would start looking for a 6.7 or a 5.9. I think I would probably end up with another 5.9 in the end.... But until something happens to this one, I have no intentions of getting rid of it. It's great once you lose the disease that Dodge implanted in it.....

The following users liked this post:
scottsjeeprolet (10-24-2008)
Old 10-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks, I am taking your advice and getting an 07 5.9. I live here in Southern California and I know we'd be the first to have to smog the 6.7 beast. Don't want to be taking the stuff on and off for the warranty or smog.

Quick Reply: Buying a new08 finally. Any help I can get