6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

Turbo Boost Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds real familiar. I have a 2008 6.7L with less than 10k miles. I idled for about 5 minutes the other day and shortly thereafter the check engine light came on. I was close to an Auto Zone so had them plug in an analyzer and got "cannot detect turbo boost pressure". I'm thinkin' "Aw ****!" I got to the house and when I left an hour later the engine light was out and hasn't returned. Been wondering if I should take it in.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got dodge to buy my 07 6.7L back. i had the same thing my truck had 3 turbos but in to it. the cleaning is a spray the foams up then the spray it out. i had a 5LBS coffee can filled with carbon. Im gessing that you have a 07.5 dodge has been makeing shielded exhaust censors . they told me that for 7months. If you want to ask me anything about all this i had prob with the PDF, EGR, Flywheel,Turboan loss of power with Bucking

Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys check this out. ok we know that the reason these turbos are F!@# up is the dpf and emissions. i talk to a guy the other day who had his truck in the shop 5 different times and had the dpf replaced. after the 5th time the dealer, THE DEALER!! straight piped the truck for him and warrantied all the work. so dont let the dealers tell you that you cant straight pipe these trucks. and it will keep our turbos from blowing

Old 10-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My friend works at Jeep Truck Engineering & I asked him to talk to a Cummins factory rep when I was looking at whether I should get a 5.9 or 6.7. He said to keep the exhaust brake on even in the city. I guess the exhaust brake help keep the turbo vanes from getting sticky.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the DPF delete and took out my EGR, I would highly recommend everyone do the same. Im running the edge to clear my codes on startup.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Diesel Fan

I run my exhaust brake pretty much all the time and love this feature. Dealer called today and its been 5 days and still not repaired. Apparently they don't have enough diesel techs to fix all these problems. He said that they had to disassemble and clean everything (9k miles on new truck) and were drilling a hole in my intake so next time it won't take as long. He pretty much told me that unless I had about a 45 mile commute to work every day or stayed on the road a lot that my truck was not able to complete a regen cycle. The service rep said that he would be seeing me a lot unless I installed a a DPF delete and removed the EGR. This would only void my emmisions warranty. Right now, Texas' annual inspection involves mainly safety but in 2010 they will be looking for all this stuff. I think these guys are tired of these 6.7's coming in and are willing to help us out. Wondering if I should take my chances with the inspection guys and find a shop that will roll me through or bolt all this crap back on every year. I guess I could could cut the damn thing apart, remove the internals, reinstall so that it looks like I have one. I'm fixing to pull the trigger on something.

Attached Thumbnails Turbo Boost Failure-texas-dodge.jpg  
Old 10-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I think Im gunna take my chances and go with the delete hand onto the dpf and if the need arises put it back on but I bet you can find someone who will slap a sticker on it depending on where you live. I used to have a strait piped chevy back a couple years ago and got it inspected no muffler or cat so it cant be that big a deal. Stupid epa needs to have this techonlogy put on there own vehicles since there so enviromentaly concerned.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run my Engine Brake all the time. If the truck is sitting for more than a minute or so and not in traffic, I use the high idle setting. In cold weather I run the high idle up to 1500 RPM. I have experimented with unplugging the EGR. This stops the soot from entering the intake so the DPF only has to deal with the initial exhaust soot, the oil stays cleaner, the fuel mileage increases about 2 MPG and throttle response is increased. There has been lengthy discussion on other forums about unplugging the EGR. The consensus seems to be favourable. The only drawbacks that I have found are that the CEL is constantly on and the RPM in reverse is down by about 150.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That sounds about right. I guess I was one of the lucky ones because my mileage went up over 3 mpg. Unfortunately my towing mileage did not get any better. I've been pulling my trailer around for the last couple days and I am getting about 9 mpg still. This does not include any highway miles at speed..

Old 11-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Default bam1bam1 6.7 cummins

From what I have been hearing you can't leave this new breed cummins idle for long periods of time. I have an 07 1/2 with 14,000 miles and have had no problems at all. In fact I average around 14 to 16 in town and 21 to 22 on hwy. Ive had good luch so far and I don't see any of the problems others are having.

Quick Reply: Turbo Boost Failure