6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

2008 6.7 Cummins motor issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 6.7 Cummins motor issues

Hello. New to the forums. First off I want to say that I grew up in a family of powerstrokes and wanted to make the switch to Cummins for my first diesel as I have always knows that Cummins is a pretty stout motor. Anyways I purchased a 2008 6.7 Cummins from a private seller in Kentucky. Owner had receipts for everything that was done to the motor. Head studs, clutch, EGR delete, DPF delete, etc. The truck ran great and never missed a beat. I am in the process of doing a PCS move so my issues couldn't have come at a worse time. Anyways driving down the road and all of the sudden the truck starts shacking like a ****. Pull over and it's blowing out blue and grey smoke. I shut it down and end up getting a tow to a local diesel shop in Missouri... Diesel Performance LLC to be exact. They diagnose it and aren't getting anything from cylinder number 5. Thought it could be an injector that went out but not 100 percent sure until a couple of techs listen to it and say that it sounds worse than an injector. Anyways there is zero compression on number 5 but there is also zero blow bye. They are pulling the head off Monday but the main tech is saying that since there is no blow bye that I could have just lost the valve seat and not dropped a valve. I am trying to stay positive because I don't have 7 grand for a motor but does it sound like I am going to be needing a new motor or a valve job? Some insight from some people that have seen it and heard it would really calm my nerves right now. I get that **** happens so I am also ready to pay the consequences...

Thank you...

Patrick