6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

lugging / surging when trying to maintain speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lugging / surging when trying to maintain speed

Hoping someone can't help out with this, it is embarrassing and certainly doesn't seem normal for a $60k truck.

Essential when trying to maintain speed the truck will begin to buck, surge, lug whatever you want to call it. It seems to only happen when the truck is not increasing speed or pulling up an incline. IE, going through town at 35-45mph is a complete pain.

Symptom is non-existent if cruise control is set.

Truck is a 2012 manual 4x4 w/ 48k miles. I'm the second owner.

It almost feels mechanical, for instance, when canceling cruise control, either by tapping brake or hitting the cancel button the truck almost violently bucks which I feel is related to the symptom.

I have read about similar symptoms on second gens that were caused by throttle positioning sensors but haven't seen anything as it relates to the 4th gens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:33 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

Well hate to say this but. Does it almost sound like a gasser with a big cam. More of a loping sound. Say when your taking off being real gentle or coming to a stop. And just seems like it's going to push you on. If so its your injectors. Just went through this with my buddies 2012. I had a couple extra sets. So we through another set in problem solved.

Last edited by coors_man_2005; 09-13-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, the condition only exists when trying to maintain speed usually on a decline. If cruise control is set it doesn't exist at all.
I'm starting to think it might have something to do with the tunes on the programmer but I don't think it's the injectors, could be wrong though, but I would think that it would still happen even with cruise on.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:23 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

Could you post a video. The way your explaining really sounds how my buddies started. And got worse over time.