6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

Sitting/Idling

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sitting/Idling

My 2007 6.7 is sitting at my brother in law's house while I'm away for work. I asked him to drive it once a week with the turbo brake on. He said he doesnt feel comfortable driving it, and that he's just been firing it up and letting it idle for 10 mins once a week for the last month. I wont be back to drive it til June. How detrimental is it for the VGT to not be flexed, and how bad is it for my motor to just sit there and idle once a week til June?

Old 11-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

going to do more harm than good with a bone stock truck.. I would leave it and just keep a battery tender on it. It needs to be driven and for a good run. not just 10 min once a week. its going to end up clogging up the DPF..

Old 11-16-2014, 06:18 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks Rooster. I'm saving up for a mini maxx to do a dpf delete. I'd just be better off keeping the battery charged rather than letting it sit at idle?

Old 11-17-2014, 03:22 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by nomoney
Thanks Rooster. I'm saving up for a mini maxx to do a dpf delete. I'd just be better off keeping the battery charged rather than letting it sit at idle?
Absolutely. If you can keep a battery tender on it, this will insure that when you get back in June, the batteries wont be dead! I would also run some sea-foam or some other Fuel stabilizer in it as well.

Is the truck stored in a garage or outside?

I went with an EFI Live Auto cal that supported the deletes. Been working perfect, not even a hiccup in 15000 miles.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Diesel Fan

Ok thanks. It's semi outside, its under a carport. Should be sheltered enough for a tender. I'll tell him to get some seafoam too. I've been reading online and i think I'm leaning more towards the EFI programmer from what I see on the forums and online