6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

07 dodge 3500 brakes locking up

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 dodge 3500 brakes locking up

Hi all, I have a 07 dodge 3500 that drives fine but @ random times (3 since i had it,a week) as im driving the truck feels like its losing power and wont go than i will notice that the brakes are being applied than just lock up. I will have to let it sit for bout an hour till I guess they cool down but as I sit I can feel them releasing than back to normal. Now I bought the vechicle in TX and drove all the way home to Ga with no problems b ut the next day is when I started having this problem. Please help, Thanks

Old 06-17-2014, 06:23 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by sidduced
Hi all, I have a 07 dodge 3500 that drives fine but @ random times (3 since i had it,a week) as im driving the truck feels like its losing power and wont go than i will notice that the brakes are being applied than just lock up. I will have to let it sit for bout an hour till I guess they cool down but as I sit I can feel them releasing than back to normal. Now I bought the vechicle in TX and drove all the way home to Ga with no problems b ut the next day is when I started having this problem. Please help, Thanks
Jack it up and spin each wheel till you find the one causing problems. Then fix the problem

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-17-2014, 10:37 AM

Really, this is the reply I get

Old 06-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Really, this is the reply I get
You looking for someone to tell you step by step instructions? Looking for someone to diagnose your truck over the internet, better yet over the Internet with the tid bit of actual information you actually supplied (you'd make a good story teller)?
If you don't have any more knowledge than to ask a question like this the best thing you could do is take it to a qualified shop. Or jack it up and find out if ones stuck? What exactly are you expecting someone to say? It's not rocket science.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:18 AM

Drums on the back or 4 wheel disk?? Do you have and vibrations when braking or are they just grabbing??

Old 06-17-2014, 02:41 PM

2wd disk on all 4. 6.7l I looked @ all wheels and no visible leaks. Shop showed me an invoice that they replaced pads, rotors and calipers front/rear. Replaced rear wheel seals, replaced abs fuse and repaired loose wire on harness because the ABS light was on but not anymore. Brake fluid level is full but I noticed the boot on master cap is mushroomed. Rides like normal but when it has went to lock up I did notice smoke from both front wheels when I stopped not sure if rear is locking. No vibrating just the truck feels like it's loosing Power.

Last edited by sidduced; 06-17-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: add more text
Old 06-17-2014, 03:38 PM

2wd disk on all 4. 6.7l I looked @ all wheels and no visible leaks. Shop showed me an invoice that they replaced pads, rotors and calipers front/rear. Replaced rear wheel seals, replaced abs fuse and repaired loose wire on harness because the ABS light was on but not anymore. Brake fluid level is full but I noticed the boot on master cap is mushroomed. Rides like normal but when it has went to lock up I did notice smoke from both front wheels when I stopped not sure if rear is locking. No vibrating just the truck feels like it's loosing Power.
If there was smoke from the front then that means that they are dragging and getting hot, if it where my truck I would be pulling off the wheels and disassembling the brakes and looking for signs of grease or oil on the pads or rotors, remove the rear rotors and check to make sure that it was all cleaned correctly when the seals where replaced, from the info provided it seems they are either not releasing correctly or dragging, disk brakes are not that hard to figure out and there really isn't any adjustment so I would start there

Old 06-22-2014, 11:22 AM

Ok I had a friend mechinic come by and check things out. His quess was contamination so I replaced the master cylinder and brake hoses and did a bench bleed on the master cylinder and when I started to bleed the brakes themselves Im not getting any fluid at the rear wheels. I have read that you might need a scan tool to cycle the ABS units silenoids, could this be an issue and is there anyway are the scan tool use?

Old 05-24-2017, 11:08 PM

Hello partner I have a 07 Ram 3500 as well same issue did you find the culprit? MY front and rear brakes are locking up and smoking ....Cool off and work again

Old 12-05-2021, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by mysterync
You looking for someone to tell you step by step instructions? Looking for someone to diagnose your truck over the internet, better yet over the Internet with the tid bit of actual information you actually supplied (you'd make a good story teller)?
If you don't have any more knowledge than to ask a question like this the best thing you could do is take it to a qualified shop. Or jack it up and find out if ones stuck? What exactly are you expecting someone to say? It's not rocket science.

No, it's not rocket science but a legit question that could be approached with some respect. I have the same problem with my truck and I don't feel it's necessary to jack the truck up and spin the wheels because when it happened to me, all four rotors were blue, do ya think they may be hot? The rotors and calipers are new with 3500 mi on them, so you tell me what you think it could be after 7months of flawless operation why all 4 began to bind on the same day, since its not rocket science?