6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

EGTs For 6.7s

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EGTs For 6.7s

I've been attempting to find a good EGT to program in for a defuel process on my Attitude. I called and talked to the local dealership and all they could tell me is the EGT's on the 6.7 are higher than the 5.9s. They couldn't pinpoint a max EGT on this engine. I also called Edge and after discussing it for about thirty minutes we came up with a number around 1500 with the sensor prior to the turbo on the exhaust manifold. Anybody got any numbers they've locked in on the EGTs?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 492 Likes on 383 Posts

WOW! I had no idea that they went that for a normal temp.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Diesel Fan

Update......Just ran a little race today with the A/C on. From a stand still at a red light and thru about an 1/8th of a mile the EGTs busted 1600! Guess I'll keep hitting it and see how high it goes until something blows or burns up, then I can post the max temps!

Old 04-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

what level is the edge at? how much of an increase do you see between stock and the highest hp tune?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Diesel Fan

I don't have the highest level unlocked on my Edge. Level 6 is not recommended unless I do a rebuild on my transmission. But, on level 5, its like night and day! I haven't put it on a dyno to see the actual numbers, but it is a very noticeable increase in horsepower and torque! The only concerns I have are the EGTs, but I'm thinking these 6.7's definately run much hotter than the older 5.9s or than the 6.6 D-max which I owned prior to this truck. Talking to the techs at Dodge, they are telling me that if the truck does actually get into the unknown pre-set EGT heat limit, the truck will go into a type of "limp" mode until it cools down. I haven't hit that yet even at over 1600F.

Last edited by Rocking B Ranch; 04-29-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

but i was asking what are the temps in stock mode on the edge when you make a pull down the road? i know temps will skyrocket on level 5 especially with a stock turbo.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Diesel Fan

Stock mode usually sits around 1000F on EGT running with no load. Pulling a load it will stand around 12 to 1300 depending on the A/C and speed.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Diesel Fan

I called the dealer where I bought my truck and talked to their service department to try and find out what is considered "high" for these engines on the EGTs. Initially, the service manager asked a diesel tech and told me "Aw, these new engines will see EGTs of up to 3000 on the EGTs according to my tech." So I asked him to please fax me a copy of the tech manual that states that and he said no problem. About thirty minutes later, he called me back saying the tech was wrong and they can't find anything at all on the max EGTs these engines are supposed to be operating in. They called their big techs in the sky and no word and they also called their Cummins support line and came up with nada. Makes ya wonder about Cummins sometimes. You'd figure if you built an engine, you would know what the max temps would be for intake, fuel, coolant and exhaust as a minimum. Especially with a turbo thrown in there somewhere!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I know that if EGT's were that high, we would not have any problem with the DPF. At high temps of about 1500, the soot burns out! That is the temperature that cleans out the damn DPF.
I was not able to start my truck last week. So, over weekend I took off the DPF, there was about an 1/8 inch black soot covering it solidly. So, vaccumed it all up from both sides, put the damn thing on, and I was back in business. As soon as the warranty is over, the DPF is going to hell! The same with the damn EGR.

I talked with Smarty people, the 6.7L Smarty will be out in about 2 months. I will be the first who is going to get it!

Old 08-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am totally stock except for gages. Pulling home from Hill City SD with 5er,CGVW is 16,900#I hit as high of 1,450 F during the regen process. I know this is in the red line on the EGT gauge but I think this may not apply to the water cooled turbos. This is the highest that I saw during my trip out and back. Average fuel milage was 10.2 MGP, boost was a steady 15 psi.

Quick Reply: EGTs For 6.7s