6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

Transfer case stuck in neutral...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mad Transfer case stuck in neutral...?

I've got a 2012 Ram 3500 dually, manual tranny, bone stock (waiting out the warranty), 56km (I drive/tow a LOT), I'm particular about regular inspections and maintenance... I have just put 3500km on it in the last 3 days hauling horses through a major blizzard (I felt like I was in Ice Road Truckers, or something), and I decided to stop at a little town in the middle of nowhere to sleep in a hotel for a few hours since my horse trailer was empty for the first time, insead of in the truck. Everything was normal, I turned the truck off in 4HI, plugged her in, and when I returned 6 hours later, I started her, warmed her up a little bit (It was -8C at this point; MUCH warmer than the -20 it had been the last two days!), and something sounded HORRIBLE! I turned around in the parking lot, tried switching it to 2wd and nothing happened so I put it in neutral to see if I could put it in 4LO, and now it's stuck in neutral. Unhooked batteries to reset the computer, and it's still stuck. FUses look good, all the wires are still in good condition and plugged into the t-case. I can hear the relay clicking when I turn the dial, but all it does is the little neutral button flashes and goes solid again... I'm 300km away from civilization and any dealership, and there are accidents and highway closures everywhere so they can't tow me to a dealership until tomorrow. And I have more horses and hay to finish hauling! This sure put a wrench in my itinerary! Not even a year old and it's left me deserted.

Anyone else had this, or heard of this?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

What was the noise you heard. I hope the chain. didn't break or something like that. I have never heard of this. This is kinda a reason why I changed my transfercase to a manual one this way I know its in where I put it not relying on electronics. which are always a pita.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not really sure what the noise was, to be honest. Sounded like something was rubbing --I chalked it down to ice, but now that I'm without wheels, I'm thinking not. I knocked the ice off and everything around the t-case was melted, so it couldn't have been that. It very well could have been the chain; I know SFA about tranny's and transfer cases. I just know I like my old trucks that have the least amount of electronics as possible! Guess I'll just have to update here when they tell me what it is tomorrow!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Apparently it's the actuator. Found out m DPF hasn't been going through regen and was plugged too. I wasn't aware a message popped up on my dash saying it was doing it. She says I need to do more highway driving and put the truck under load a little more. Haha. I guess pulling.g a 7000#(dry weight) horse trailer with 4 horses (~4000#) 3500 km and through the Rocky Mountains isn't enough work for it. Damn Dodge.

Last edited by AlmostClassy; 12-03-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-04-2013, 06:57 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

At least its a more minor deal could been worse besides it shut you down for a few days. You should check into the deletes then you won't have to worry about the dpf plugging up