6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

2011 ram 3500 low trans fluid issue plz help!!'

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 ram 3500 low trans fluid issue plz help!!'

LSo I bought a 2011 ram 3500 with 70k on it last week. I just took it to a shop and had the engine oil changed.. I asked him to check the tranny fluid and and he pulled the dip stick out to find next to nothing for oil on the dip stick. He asked if the engine was really cold but I don't think it was. It was a 5 min drive to get to the shop and its +22 tonight in Canada so I think it was warm enough. He then asked if it shifts funny... I had no idea what to say as I just went from a 2005 5.9 to a 2011 6.7 and those two trucks are night and day difference so I'm still getting use to the tranny and what not. There is also NO oil leaks under my truck at all. And he also checked himself for leaks and found none.... Really worried I bought a lemon..

Also the truck seemed to be shifting through all the gears just fine.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Diesel Fan

My brother has a 2010 model, and this isnt going to make sense to most of you, but about every 2 or 3 oil changes his does exactly the same thing! he has to change his trans fluid about every 20k miles because of this, he motor is bone dry on the top and bottom, the trans still has a silver color to it its so clean, but fluid comes up missing about every 12-15k miles. He is terrified of it he must check his il and trans fluid atleast 3 or 4 times a day hoping its not low.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tyler Smoot
My brother has a 2010 model, and this isnt going to make sense to most of you, but about every 2 or 3 oil changes his does exactly the same thing! he has to change his trans fluid about every 20k miles because of this, he motor is bone dry on the top and bottom, the trans still has a silver color to it its so clean, but fluid comes up missing about every 12-15k miles. He is terrified of it he must check his il and trans fluid atleast 3 or 4 times a day hoping its not low.
This is very odd. I had the. Top the oil up last night and this morning still no oil leaks anywhere! Where is it going

Old 08-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Diesel Fan

Just asked my brother about it again, he said the oil/trans fluid never moves everytimes he checks it til about 2-3 oil changes and it will just drastically drop one day, he leaves it parked in his garage and said he never seens any on concrete and his motor is clean, he took it to dodge and they told him to expect that kind of a thing to happen to a diesel that is not broke in, they told him if it does it when it hits 100k miles then it will be something to look into, as of right now they said its just a "cummins being a cummins". They said it could take up to 100k miles for everything on the engine to properly seat. but thats coming from dodge you know how that goes. Also speaked to another dodge dealer about this issue they said to check the turbo make sure no oil is getting out there, and said to strap a trailer to the back of the truck put as much stuff as you can fit on it and everyweek go pull it for a couple hundred miles for a month and that might fix the problem. He said these new motors are hard to get broke in without them pulling a load.

Last edited by Tyler Smoot; 08-22-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:10 PM

Just asked my brother about it again, he said the oil/trans fluid never moves everytimes he checks it til about 2-3 oil changes and it will just drastically drop one day, he leaves it parked in his garage and said he never seens any on concrete and his motor is clean, he took it to dodge and they told him to expect that kind of a thing to happen to a diesel that is not broke in, they told him if it does it when it hits 100k miles then it will be something to look into, as of right now they said its just a "cummins being a cummins". They said it could take up to 100k miles for everything on the engine to properly seat. but thats coming from dodge you know how that goes.
Yeah man it's weird for sure. I just got off phone with dodge and he said when the guy before me got the 45k tyranny service you sometimes need to top up the oil. And I talked to the guy who owned truck before me and he said it was done around the 50k mark... So it's topped up and good to go now so ill just check it every so often and watch my tranny temps. If I find anything else about it ill be sure to post. I also called the trans shop today and they told me that they have heard this from a couple different owners now.... I love my dodges but they should really figure this out. Probably the worse thing you want on your mind all the time driving on a daily base.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Diesel Fan

but if its not the motor needed breaking in they said its definatly piston ring damage, but it comes and goes so you wont see blue smoke necessiarly

Old 08-22-2013, 01:15 PM

but if its not the motor needed breaking in they said its definatly piston ring damage, but it comes and goes so you wont see blue smoke necessiarly
Great to know. Mine don't smoke at all. Not sure how they would
Have piston issues on such low km. i have the dpf delete so ill be screwed on warranty regaurdless unless I can get my hands on the dpf stuff

Old 08-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Diesel Fan

My brother last night loaded up our hay wagon and put 12 5x5 round bales (14,400lbs not including trailer) and took off and went a little over 100 miles last night, he said he is going to do this every night after work for 2 weeks and after he does roughly 1500 miles with 15k pounds behind him he will test and see if it still has "disappearing" fluids, i will comment back with his results.