6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

Truth about cold air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truth about cold air intakes

The owners manual of my 08' Dodge is very adamant about 'no cold air intake' or warranty will go away. I've talked to authorities on the matter, not Dodge service techs, and they maintain the current factory air intake is very efficient and it's not necessary to upgrade. I see these for sale and many of you have them. I'm considering buying one of the popular systems but dont want to waste my money. Whats the real deal with htese systems? Why does Dodge frown on their use? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Received 9,670 Likes on 6,381 Posts

There are some cold air intake that let dust & dirt in, I have a drop-in filter in my truck

Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

Stock air intakes are good. They can support a significant amount of HP with no issues. Most people just like the sound that an aftermaket CAI can provide.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

What about advertized HP gains???? AFE says 15hp of course thats standing on it.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

I have never been on a dyno to check myself (as I am sure most haven't). But it is possible.

When it comes down to it, the stock intake is a CAI.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Usually thats up in the upper RPMs, much higher than whats practical for daily driving. I know for damned sure I dont drive my CTD up to or higher than 3k rpms at any given time. I barely hit 2k while getting on the freeway, and cruise at 1700 @ 65 mph. Your stock airbox will be more than sufficient. However, you can get a better flowing drop-in air filter, like a washable high-flow dry-filter. That will help bring down the EGTs some as well as a slight increase in mpg. A less restrictive intake tube, from the airbox to the turbo will also help.
I went from a stock airbox, with a high-flow filter, to an open CAI kit with a huge BHAF washable dry filter, only because I wanted more turbo whistle. I didnt gain anything but more turbo noise. No additional performance was noted. Hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:18 PM

I appreciate the info. I'm like most folks and can appreciate a cool lookin' engine compartment with whatever shiney after market gizmo's, but what I'm hearing is the gains for the money would really be negligible for a stock 6.7. Sound about right?

Old 03-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

That sounds about right bro. When I first got my CTD, my first mod was the high-flow drop in air filter. I did notice that my stock filter box got pretty hot from engine heat. I experimented with some "sheet" reflectorized bubble insulation. I cut and wrapped the airbox with this stuff. Worked like a charm. I then went further and cut that insulation material into strips of 2" wide by 13" long (long enough to wrap around the 4" intake tube). I covered the entire tube with it, then I used aluminum foil tape to wrap around the whole thing. That coupled with the insulated air filter box made a huge difference in keeping the intake air (pre-turbo) cool. I ran this for 3 years. I later went to the larger open CAI kit with the BHAF. With the left over reflectorized bubble wrap, I lined the outside of the CAI box with it. That also helped to keep the metal from the CAI box from absorbing engine heat. I look for every advantage I can get.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My dad and I have almost the exact same truck and he has CIA and i still have the stock one, cant tell any difference for power that we can tell but ill be getting one cuz his sounds awesome!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:15 AM

What about the manufacturers warning against their use? Anyone read or hear any info on ill effects of using a CAI?

Quick Reply: Truth about cold air intakes