6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

Intermittent ecm code? Wtf? Tuner to blame?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intermittent ecm code? Wtf? Tuner to blame?

Truck shot an idiot light at me that says intermittent power from ecm...my odometer now only comes up after truck is shut off even if I had it on trip. Oil change light comes on after its reset and I just changed oil. Also mpgs dropped significantly and it idles shakey. Rund good but vibrates at idle. Also have thw lightning bolt with two lines light on dash. Wtf is going on

Old 11-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey im not sure but it sounds like a loose battery terminal. Loose fuse or a possible ground fault. I got the same thing for oil change. I usually run a code for crankcase filter when hooked up to smarty. The best thing us to check electrical connections as a dealer has no troubleshooting skills. They start replacing things first and see if that works . Start with basics always. Just my .02 cents

Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Diesel Fan

i agree with black pearl.. or it might be possible that your alternator is on the fritz

Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Diesel Fan

I did notice that my battery connection looked like a science experiment....I cleaned all the connections and checked for anything stupid. When my truck idles it will dim lights and voltage gauge will drop and go back up. It has done this since i bought the truck but i neer worried about it. What gets me is this light with a lightning bolt and two lines...What does it mean? And btw i just updated my tuner about five minutes ago ill see what happens on drive in to work tmw

Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Diesel Fan

im guessing when your light and dash lights go dim your grid heater is kicking on... and your voltage drops between 11 and 12.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Diesel Fan

Didnt think about that very possible.im on my way to work now and after tuner update last night lights are in again

Old 11-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lightning bolt on my dash read out tells me the cargo light is on? that's the button right below my dash dimmer roller switch. If I leave it on, duh, like I did one time for a week the lights' would dim. Doggone new fangled pieces of equipment anyway, I miss my old T, you could shock guys when they lean on your truck with the magneto, them was the good ole days, eh? layin on the side of the road changin the bands out every 100 miles or so, summer or winter, man I just miss those days.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 AM

Rail, how do you shock with a mag? I would love to light up people who go hands on, without permission to touch my '24 Tudoor.
Sorry to go OT, but this is important stuff. At least my Dodge hauls the T on a trailer.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The black pearl
Hey im not sure but it sounds like a loose battery terminal. Loose fuse or a possible ground fault. I got the same thing for oil change. I usually run a code for crankcase filter when hooked up to smarty. The best thing us to check electrical connections as a dealer has no troubleshooting skills. They start replacing things first and see if that works . Start with basics always. Just my .02 cents
I need to check that out also ...I have had that light since I recently bought the truck from the dealer. But, the strange thing is that it goes out shortly after my coil warms up ..or maybe it's not strange ...

Old 11-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 162 Likes on 143 Posts

Have your batterys and alternator checked.If not i had one truck that had a loose pin on the ecm that did the same thing