5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

nv 5600 reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default nv 5600 reverse

i have 222,000 miles on my nv 5600 and its getting a little hard to get into reverse. sometimes i have to ram it in there and other times it just slides right in! i have not changed the fluid yet but when i do i will be getting amsoil. i bought the truck with 208,000 miles and i dont know what the last owner did and i will be changing the oil soon but just want to make sure its not anything else like syncro's. also how many qts of fluid should i use? ive seen post after post saying over fill it and i was wondering how many qts you would use. thank you!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Change fluid, overfill by about a quart. See if that helps. If you don't have aftermarket coolers on the PTO covers, it should take around 6 quarts.

Since it does it "sometimes", I would suspect the pilot bearing may be getting dry of lube and is allowing the input to turn even though the clutch is released. You may be able to check this by doing the following:

1) stop in gear with the clutch depressed, put into neutral, then put back into gear (keep the clutch pedal depressed the whole time)...it should drop right in.

2) stop, put the trans in neutral and release the clutch, then depress the clutch and pull into gear...if its tough to get into gear, its typically a sign the pilot bearing is dry, the clutch slave cylinder isn't fully disengaging the clutch, or the clutch pressure plate is warped; and the assembly is turning when you are trying to shift (the synchonizers are preventing you from grinding gears, which means they are working).

Old 07-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

how can i lube the pilot bearing and keep it lubed?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Pull the trans, replace the bearing? What I'm getting at is you are likely due for a new clutch if it hasn't been replaced yet (200k is not unheard of).

Old 07-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ya, srry i was at work and was having one of my wifes moments (blond moment) and wasnt thinking. but i understand, it could be grabbing from time to time and spinning inside. but thank you! also the clutch does feel good still so i think they have replaced it just not the bearing, when i got the truck i had to replace all 4 wheel bearings, tie rod ends, rear brakes, and rebuild the transfer case.........so i think he may have went the cheap route and just did the clutch.

Last edited by helton87; 07-19-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a "HD" rebuild on a 5600 with a short shifter. Hate it. Been very tough to get into reverse and first when stopped.

A little trick I was made aware of is to drop it into 4th before you shift into reverse. Works like a champ for me. Not sure what it does with the trans speed or alignment but mine will shake the the truck trying to get it in reverse, but if I drop 4th on my way over, it slides right in effortlessly.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

did it start doing that after you put the short shifter in it?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Diesel Fan

no idea. the previous owner had it rebuilt... the short shifter has to be part of the problem. I've driven a few rebuilds and never liked them. just not at nice as the stock feel in my experience. could just be the builders.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

it could be. has anyone else had this problem after a rebuild?

Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Diesel Fan

I just rebuilt my nv4500 and was really surprised to see how worn out the shift forks were (210k) I replaced them and still cant believe the difference.

Quick Reply: nv 5600 reverse