5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Question Door Locks

Ok... dumb question I'm sure, but... I have an '06 3500 with the Sentry key, I don't seem able to leave the truck running with the key in the ignition and lock the doors. There has to be something I'm missing...

Old 02-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

so when your truck is running you can lock your doors? my brothers does that also

Old 02-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

why would you want to lock your keys in the ignition with it running??? its most likely a safety they are using cause they dont want you locking your keys i nthe truck while its running, 1 cant get back in, 2 easy to get stolen.....knock the window out and take the truck....

Old 02-18-2008, 12:49 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

couldnt tell ya why just does

Old 02-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well... first off it's 40 below, thought it would be nice to leave it run. You use the second set to get back in, and as for stealing it...
I was thinking it was something you could program and someone here would have experience with it but thanks for your concern about my safety.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I redid my ignition so I can take the key out and still leave the truck running. You cannot turn the wheel or shift out of park without the key in though.

It was a bit involved, but I like it.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You can lock your keys in the vehicle IF you have your FOB, and push the lock button. This is what I do.

1TONDIESEL, what all is involved to do what you did to your ignition?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spike7ss

1TONDIESEL, what all is involved to do what you did to your ignition?
In the ignition you have the mechanical ignition, involving the key, the steering wheel lock and the shift lock, and then the electrical ignition which is mounted at the base of the mechanical lock. I separated the two and have the electrical ignition switch mounted separately. Looking at it you could never tell, but I don't want to say much more than that because it's partially my anti theft device. Someone could tear into it trying to steal it and have a hell of a time trying to figure out how to start it.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spike7ss
You can lock your keys in the vehicle IF you have your FOB, and push the lock button.
This what I thought. I kept one of the fobs from my '04 and figured I'd just get it programmed for the '06, the dealership said nope. It came with a sentry key and a regular grey one. If the grey one is in the ignition and you lock it with the sentry the lock just pops back up again. I'll have to see if I can manually lock it with the key in the door... it's getting warmer now, not such a big deal.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Tondiesel
In the ignition you have the mechanical ignition, involving the key, the steering wheel lock and the shift lock, and then the electrical ignition which is mounted at the base of the mechanical lock. I separated the two and have the electrical ignition switch mounted separately. Looking at it you could never tell, but I don't want to say much more than that because it's partially my anti theft device. Someone could tear into it trying to steal it and have a hell of a time trying to figure out how to start it.
This is too cool, I like this idea. I guess you don't have a big red button that says "Push to start" on your dashboard?