5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

I'm running out of ideas.....still starting hard!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

How about the crank sensor??

Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 PM
FormerVendor
Received 107 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyT
it doesnt matter. Still starts hard to matter what.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Rail PSI @ starting is 1500psi

Just letting everyone know i just ordered 6 new injectors and injector tubes. Wish me luck
so when its doing the hard start it is below 1500psi while it is only cranking then when it gets to 1500psi it starts?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cummin_un_glued
so when its doing the hard start it is below 1500psi while it is only cranking then when it gets to 1500psi it starts?
Yeah it seems be be bouncing around the 1500psi mark when trying to start. Once it starts it shoots up to about 10,000psi then levels itself out around 6000psi when at idle. I dont have any codes or anything either.

Originally Posted by RanchhandTCR
How about the crank sensor??
would it throw a code if it was a crank sensor, and where is that located?

Originally Posted by mikej
take a look at where your fuel lines support clamps that hold the fuel line to the frame.loosen each one and see if you have a pin hole in the line.If you have tried everything else you got nothing to lose.no joke this happen to me i worked for two day till i found the pin hole buy loosening the clamp a small stream of fuel started running down the line.I you have gone through all other checks you are getting air somewhere for sure.be sure to rub the clamped area with steel wool this will make the leak show its self quicker.hope this helps
i would want to do this when its not running right? what are the torque specs for these?

Last edited by JimmyT; 06-12-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

watch yourself when the engine is running

Old 06-12-2012, 07:35 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Did you check to see if your PRV (pressure relief valve) leaks? It'll be right next to the rail pressure sensor. Oh and make sure you get all new connecting tubes.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by wildbill
Did you check to see if your PRV (pressure relief valve) leaks? It'll be right next to the rail pressure sensor. Oh and make sure you get all new connecting tubes.
i ran it today and did not see any leaks, what do you mean about connecting tubes, are you talking about the blue clamps, or injector tubes? Beacuase i just got injector tube yesterday, just waiting on the injectors should be here friday.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been hang the same problem since last spring. Changed fuel filter every other tank fill up.
Then had objector's Tested. Had to replace 4 of them. Ran fine for 3 monthsthen back to the same issues of getting it started.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Diesel Fan

I just want to let everyone know that after a year of chasing this hard start issue its finally fixed. I bit the bullet and replaced all 6 injectors and injection tubes, had the exhuast valves adjusted and its running like its 2004 again. It fires right up after one crank and its never been this quiet under the hood. Thanks for everyone help. I have learned a lot about the CR fuel system.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

just read today its always the injectors, they have excessive return basically the internal relief in the injector bypasses more than it should so technically it has a fuel leak, you just cant see it without seperating the pump bypass from the injector return. about 700ml running for 60 secs is normal pump return, and hardly no fuel starting and usually anything more than 160 ml in 60 secs running from injectors is too much so the pump and fca work double time to overcome the leak. no codes is normal but if you pop a little ether it will start, spike rail pressure then level out. number one cause for leaking internally is changing fuel filters every time truck loses power, not every other oil change like you should. it takes a lot of fuel filters to overcome $3000 worth of parts and labor to replace. just saying. fyi if you get a p000f or the poof code thats when you look at the overflow valve. its blowing open under a load. ive never had one leak without the code, and ive put in a thousand injectors. but i hope you at least went on line to get injectors, not the dealer. bc all of ours are remans and still cost and arm and a leg

Old 06-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by dixierebel0213
just read today its always the injectors, they have excessive return basically the internal relief in the injector bypasses more than it should so technically it has a fuel leak, you just cant see it without seperating the pump bypass from the injector return. about 700ml running for 60 secs is normal pump return, and hardly no fuel starting and usually anything more than 160 ml in 60 secs running from injectors is too much so the pump and fca work double time to overcome the leak. no codes is normal but if you pop a little ether it will start, spike rail pressure then level out. number one cause for leaking internally is changing fuel filters every time truck loses power, not every other oil change like you should. it takes a lot of fuel filters to overcome $3000 worth of parts and labor to replace. just saying. fyi if you get a p000f or the poof code thats when you look at the overflow valve. its blowing open under a load. ive never had one leak without the code, and ive put in a thousand injectors. but i hope you at least went on line to get injectors, not the dealer. bc all of ours are remans and still cost and arm and a leg
Yeah i got them all online, about $2,200 including a core charge. So what are you trying to say.....your not suppose to change your filter all the time, i usually change mine after every oil change.

Quick Reply: I'm running out of ideas.....still starting hard!