5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

WTH is wrong with my truck! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 07:01 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WTH is wrong with my truck! HELP!

So it won't start and shows a code P0480 and P0336. I put in a new Crank Sensor and it still won't fire! In the past if I pluged it in and put the battery charger on it the truck would fire right up. "NOW" when I hook the charger to the passenger side battery it blows the braker in my house! If I hook the charger to the driver side battery it charges! WTF is going on with this truck? Could I put the crank sensor in wrong? It's a plug and play thing so I don't know how I could! Anyone ever seen this one? Help Please..........Thanks in advance

Another thing I hear is a FAINT RAPID TICKING NOISE that will last for about 1 minute, then goes away. I hear this with the key on prior to trying to start it. It seems to come from up high and to the back of the motor??? Good God! If it wasn't so close to the house I'd have a fire! I hate problems like these!

Last edited by hoofdoctor; 03-27-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

First thought is your hooking up the charger backwards! If not then the battery is shorted out! First fix the battery issue! a bad ground will make it not start so clean all your connections then post results!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by dangerous1965
First thought is your hooking up the charger backwards! If not then the battery is shorted out! First fix the battery issue! a bad ground will make it not start so clean all your connections then post results!
When I replaced the crank sensor I disconnected the battery during the instalation and cleaned all the terminals prior to connecting them again. I do have them connected the correct way and I did a battery test and they both test in the good range even when cranking and it still wouldn't start. Soooooooo, I did what I'm not suppose to do! I shot it with a 1 second shot of ether and it fired up and runs like a champ! I did this in frustration because I'm at my witts end here! Probly injectors and probly trade the truck off at a dealer I don't like! Never ever had a problem with this truck and with only 109,000 miles it's hard to stomach the thought of sticking 3-4 grand into the fuel system just to see if that's the fix???

AND......It is till showing the same codes as stated above!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Diesel Bomber

Call Todd at T&C diesel and run this by him! Just google him!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this might not help but, this sounds like a battery problem. Remove the right battery and replace it. I have seen batteries go bad and test ok. If you have ever charged the batteries before, the posts can reverse on you. Check this out first before going too much more extreme. Like I said, this sounds like a battery problem.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by dangerous1965
Call Todd at T&C diesel and run this by him! Just google him!
I spoke to Todd, hell of a nice guy! He say's it's the injectors that are the problem with the no start! It's not what I wanted to hear!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by justinram
this might not help but, this sounds like a battery problem. Remove the right battery and replace it. I have seen batteries go bad and test ok. If you have ever charged the batteries before, the posts can reverse on you. Check this out first before going too much more extreme. Like I said, this sounds like a battery problem.
I'm going out to check the battery again. Just want to re-hook the charger up and see what it does.........I will also check the amps to see what it's putting out.......

Last edited by hoofdoctor; 03-29-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Diesel Fan

This may sound really dumb but you disconnected the cables from the battery when you tested them right? They are wired together so if one is good and one is bad but stilled wired up they will both read good bc you are getting the reading from the good battery when you test them. I'm thinkin battery problem also.

I had one battery go out and when it did the motor would turn over the catch and sounded like it back spun then would start. I started thinking injectors also and in a panic tested the batteries connect which showed good. After I calmed down and thought for a second I unhooked the batteries and found the bad battery and replaced it and all is good. I didn't get codes but that is why asked about unhooking the cables

Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by KingCopa
This may sound really dumb but you disconnected the cables from the battery when you tested them right? They are wired together so if one is good and one is bad but stilled wired up they will both read good bc you are getting the reading from the good battery when you test them. I'm thinkin battery problem also.

I had one battery go out and when it did the motor would turn over the catch and sounded like it back spun then would start. I started thinking injectors also and in a panic tested the batteries connect which showed good. After I calmed down and thought for a second I unhooked the batteries and found the bad battery and replaced it and all is good. I didn't get codes but that is why asked about unhooking the cables
I hooked the charger up last night and it charged all night long without blowing the braker. Tomorrow I will disconect both batteries and recheck the output.
Another thing I noticed is I don't hear my fuel pump running prior to turning it over! no more ddddddddddddddddddddddt for the 3-6 seconds prior to when you turn the key, just quiet! Could this cause the no start issue? My fuel pump is still on the fuel filter canister not in the tank. Not sure if there is a way to check it???? Or do an external by pass pump? The dam thing runs so good when it starts, gets 23+ MPG on the putor going down the road. No lack of power and not a sputter out of it. It's like the fuel drains back and won't fire on the cold starts! Man I hate the thought of throwing 4 grand at it for injectors and not being the fix!

Last edited by hoofdoctor; 03-30-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Diesel Fan

How did the batteries test after they were unhooked? About the tickin that is a fuel pump, I would start with fuses and relays first. IIRC some of the early CRs had lift pump problems just not sure on what years, maybe someone will chime in.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Diesel Bomber

Your gonna need a good fuel pump anyway so get the Airdog raptor real easy install and also a guage to read pump pressure! Then go from there!

Quick Reply: WTH is wrong with my truck! HELP!