5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Trading up !

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading up !

Any input would be greatly appreciated

I'm in the market for a Cummins pickup. My F250 7.3 of nearly 20 years has been a little long in the tooth for some time, especially given the fact it doesn't have a turbo, has auto trans, and I live in high altitude (6000 ft)

My original plans was a brand spanking new 6.7, however from what I've gathered over the last 6 months or so, unless I pull heavy the emission systems will wreak havoc on the engine and heartache on my wallet. Deletes are out of the question cause the county I live in has annual emission testing on diesel. So I'm convinced the 3rd gen dually is the way to go. Do these have much in the way of emission devices?

So with that in mind any suggestions? My intent is 3 to 8K miles a year; essentially a bad weather vehicle serving as RV for my 9.5" truck camper (3000lb wet) for the time being. When I retire in about 6 years the mileage will double or even triple. The 300 rated Hp I'm sure will be fine as the F250 I've been driving dyno's out to 105 at the rear wheels so 300 will be seen as a huge improvement. Longetivity and MPG improvement suggestions would definitely be welcomed

Thanks for your time

B Cush
USAF Ret

Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default upgrading truck

Last year I went from a 2001 2500 4x4 to a 2004.5 3500 dually 4x4 and am quite happy. You should know that all things mechanical have a weak spot or two. With the 5.9 common rail motors the weak spot seems to be that better fuel filtration is important with most going to a either 2 or 3 micron instead of the oem 7. The problem stems from the double or triple event injectors being more sensative to dirty fuel than the previous single event units. The only other upgrade most agree on is a better lift pump to get fuel from the tank to the cp3 injector pump. I replaced my oem lift pump and added a 3 micron filter on mine at 50k miles and so far it's been a good truck except there seem to be some electrical gremlins relating to the wiper's intermitent setting but nothing that disables them just gives them a mind of their own when on intermitent. You will find a huge difference in power between your naturally aspirated Ford and these later Cummins motors, but you would also find the late Fords up quite a bit too.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Gerry

Thaats what I was thinking too better filtration and the lift pump for the 3rd gen. I was almost contemplating a new F350 gas dually with the 6.2l but for little over 1/2 the price of that I could get a decent Cummins, which I've wanted anyways for the last 20 years

Sometime late this year or early next I should have the cash!

Bill

Old 04-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Just my 2c, but I am a big fan of the 2003-2004 trucks. You can get the common rail, but with better pistons and more trouble free injectors. Keep in mind the engine changes took place in 2004.5, so you have to check and make sure if you want to avoid the 2004.5 The ideal in my view is a 2003 High Output with 48re trans (if you want an auto)

GOd bless...
Mark