5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

What Could Have Happened To My Stock Turbo? It's New!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What Could Have Happened To My Stock Turbo? It's New!!

I pulled my stock turbo off the truck when it was almost brand new. It was working perfectly at the time. It sat under my workbench, uncovered, for several months. When I pulled it out and put it back on the truck, however, it now makes a weird noise kind of like a howling sound whenever it is making boost or winding down. It still looks like new and it was not full of dust or dirt or anything. There is no type of play in the shaft and the impellers are all in perfect shape. I first noticed this a couple months ago when I pulled the HTB2 off the truck to put a new wastegate on it. I installed the stocker while I waited to get my wastegate and I began hearing the noise. I had hoped that it was just a bad gasket so I changed all of them (Very expensive) when I put the HTB2 back on. Now that I have put it back on the truck again I notice that the sound is still there. It's very annoying!! I also noticed that my boost will spike to 30psi but then drop down to 24-26psi even if I keep my foot to the floor. If I put the boost fooler on the truck then I can easily hit 40psi and it will sustain the boost properly but the sound is still there. My truck is completely stock again except for the CON OFE clutch and muffler delete. No extra fueling...

Any ideas? I hate to have to buy another stock turbo when this one is new but something just isn't right. Are these rebuildable?

Old 02-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

yep they are rebuild-able. might was all the inlets and outlets capped off when not in use? sounds like the bearings

Old 02-03-2008, 12:53 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 319 Likes on 271 Posts

If you let the turbo sit uncovered and uncapped you definitely got dust inside. The first time you fired it up the dust was superheated and acted just like sand paper. You probably got some erosion that opened up a passage which is making the noise.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I only want replies that say that it will be an easy fix.......

Just kidding of course. I sure hope that's not what happened..

Thanks for the replies men...

Old 02-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

Dust is a terrible enemy and it sounds like ya got some............I would send it in for a rebuild

Old 02-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well, I just checked the elbow/downpipe connection and it is fine. I switched wastegate hoses and even blocked it off and neither of those things worked. All the intercooler boots are tight. You guys are probably right.
Now, who can rebuild it for me?

Old 02-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

HTT can handle it....looks like 350 buckers

http://www.htturbo.com/Service.htm

Old 02-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Geez. I'll be better off buying a used one off a newer truck.....

Thanks for the info.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

BTW, if I don't find a replacement soon then a nice stock low mileage turbo off of a 600 and a few hundred cash can get someone a nice HTB2 62/12 turbo.......

I'm done BOMBing and I am selling everything..........

Last edited by Dodgezilla; 02-04-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I found a stock take-off turbo at a good price and will have it in a few days. I'll rip this one apart to find the problem and report back....

BTW, I've been totally stock except for my muffler delete and clutch, for about a week and a half now and as hard as it may be to believe I do not miss the extra power. I'm keeping the truck like this and I'm gonna sell the HTB2 62/12 turbo, Airaid intake, Diablosport Predator, and Rokktech. I'll be posting in the classifieds soon.....

Just call me Stockzilla from now on......

Old 02-05-2008, 08:46 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts

I gotta ask why??? Did something happen, or??? Cmon, Im sure im not the only one that wants to know...

Quick Reply: What Could Have Happened To My Stock Turbo? It's New!!