5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Engine smokes and rough Idle on start up

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:13 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

Originally Posted by cummin_un_glued
it dosnt have glow plugs

we have had more then one truck that has came in with a similar problem and they all cleared up after the engine was up to operating temp, they would white smoke on start up but as engine temp would rise they would run better and at operating temp they cleared up

it could also be an injector thats overfueling i was just saying that if your going to pull the injectors out i'd run a compressoin test while they are out, it has become standard practice for our shop, only takes about 30min and we dont charge for it, gives the customer peace of mind if they all come back good and if a problem cylinder is caught early enough it can be fixed with the block in the frame

also if i did happen to fail the compression test you would still need to have the injectors tested because an overfueling injector can cause higher cylinder temp in that cylinder and result in the broken ring, so you dont want to fix the symptom and not fix the cause if ya know what i mean
thanks for the info I will get it to my regular Diesel mechanic next week to have it ck'd out

Old 02-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

If you can swing the cash and are planning on keeping the truck around for a while, I'd generally recommend replacing all of the injectors at the same time. They've got the same miles on them, so they're probably in close to the same condition.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Diesel Fan

well finally took my truck to my mechanic and he said the injectors are dripping. So now I'm in the market for injectors, i have heard the rebuilt's are a hit and miss so thinking new bosch replacements if I can afford them and try to change them myself. Any tips on doing the change out of the injectors. also who has the best deal for them out there.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 PM
FormerVendor
Received 107 Likes on 99 Posts

how did he figure out that they are "dripping" ?

and please do a compression test when you take them out

Old 05-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Diesel Fan

dont know how he chkd them, He trust me to drive his 1/2 million dollar plus race car operation 3000 miles round trip so I think I can trust him to work on my truck.

he is one of the largest diesel only mechanic shops in my area.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:50 PM
FormerVendor

thats cool, i'm not saying hes wrong i was just curious what kind of test he ran without pulling the injectors and putting them on a test bench.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Diesel Fan

I have no idea how, I left the truck with him for 6 days while we were at the races, so he may have pulled some ,not sure

Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 AM
EOD
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say either injectors or fuel. My 05 was giving me some issues replaced the injectors and still had the same problems. Turns out the low sulfur fuel was the problem. A little Keen and myster oil cleared it right up and runs fine now.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Diesel Fan

we today I pulled all 6 injectors, taking them in the morning for bench testing. 2 of the injectors had fuel pouring out of them when removed and the others stayed dry but had what looked like carbon build up on the tips. I will let you know what the test show.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

well got the injectors bench tested and 2 were bad and a 3rd was borderline, I'm only replacing whats bad now that I know how easy it is to change them

Last edited by mopwr2004a; 05-23-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-23-2012, 06:04 PM
FormerVendor

did you do a compression test while they were out? the ones that had the carbon build up on them could be from over fueling or could be from low compressoin

Quick Reply: Engine smokes and rough Idle on start up