5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

NEW BALL JOINT PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NEW BALL JOINT PROBLEMS

i just put in the upper and lower ball joints, i went to add some grease and the bottom took well but the top on the other hand is messed up. when i started to pump it in, the bearing started to come out of the top!!!!!! i thought i had put to much in so i attempted to take the grease zert off and the ball joint SPINS!!! is it a bad ball joint? or is MOOG susposed to do that (i called O'rileys and they said some of them do that) or did i tighten it to much??????

Old 11-20-2011, 06:30 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Hopefully someone chimes in.

But the only other thing I can say is, MOOG wasn't a great choice in balljoints.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

the reason i went with moog is bc a friend of mine replaces a ton of these in 03 cummins 3500 alot! not because there bad ball joints but because they have a huge fleet of cummins, and alot of the weight is up front, and that is all he recomends. but what do you recomend?

Old 11-20-2011, 07:00 PM
BOMBARDIER

Can't say for sure because there a lot of mixed reviews on all of them.

When I do mine, I'm having the dealer do it. One, warranty (12 month, 12,000 miles), two I don't have time to do mine, three I don't have the tools. To me, the $1500 or so it's gonna cost is better than having me fight it and saving the $700 in labor.

I'll be close to 140,000 miles on mine when it goes in.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

here is what it looked like after i added grease. before, they were all the way down!

NEW BALL JOINT PROBLEMS-ball-joint-01.jpg

NEW BALL JOINT PROBLEMS-ball-joint-02.jpg

Old 11-20-2011, 07:43 PM
BOMBARDIER

Does it steer better, worse? Might have to give a new upper off the shelf a good eyeball, maybe a pic of it, see where things sit.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I am replacing both sides and The look the same. I had done this side just the same way it came out and the way the other side looks but I'm going to call moog tomorrow morning to see what they say.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

Nooo there are suppose to sit tight not pop out loose either your control arms are out of spec or you have crappy Ball Joints

Old 11-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I hope it's the ball joints because i just took out the originals and the one I'm having a problem with now was a pain in the *** to get out, I had to use as much force as I could on the tool and then beat the side of the housing (it's a 3500 so it's got an AAM solid front end) I'm going to measure it tomorrow and see if it measures out the same as the old one

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

just got off the phone with moog and they said that they have not heard of this problem and the only thing that they can think of is that the valleys for the grease to run into the boot is clogged and thats why its pushing it back out.

just changed it out. must have been a defaulty ball joint bc the new one is TIGHT just the way i kike it!

Last edited by helton87; 11-21-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by helton87
I hope it's the ball joints because i just took out the originals and the one I'm having a problem with now was a pain in the *** to get out, I had to use as much force as I could on the tool and then beat the side of the housing (it's a 3500 so it's got an AAM solid front end) I'm going to measure it tomorrow and see if it measures out the same as the old one

just got off the phone with moog and they said that they have not heard of this problem and the only thing that they can think of is that the valleys for the grease to run into the boot is clogged and thats why its pushing it back out.

just changed it out. must have been a defaulty ball joint bc the new one is TIGHT just the way i kike it!
Good good glad it was a cheaper fix

Quick Reply: NEW BALL JOINT PROBLEMS