5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Overboost code

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Overboost code

Is anyone else getting an overboost code with the Smart SR installed. Have it set on Catcher 4, timing 2, rp 2 and every now and then the code pops up, my egt rises and power drops. I delete the code and its good to go. Clearly this is not the way to go about things? Any ideas?

Old 11-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

I would think the smarty has a boost fooler built in. However, I don't know for sure. You may need to get a stand alone boost fooler to prevent this from happening.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any decent items come to mind?

Old 11-09-2011, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts
Old 11-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No boost fooler needed for smarty, it's built in.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Mega
No boost fooler needed for smarty, it's built in.
Not true, Smarty does not boost fool.

OP, download the lates Smarty version and reload it on the truck again. Something did not load correctly.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by cerberus60
Not true, Smarty does not boost fool.

OP, download the lates Smarty version and reload it on the truck again. Something did not load correctly.
Someone needs to tell MADS about this then... They seem to think differently?

Q. Does Smarty do the boost fooling function?

A. Yes, all the the softwares in Smarty have modified boost tables in order to allow higher boost without defuelling.
( Except ;SW # 0 and of course Stock ) No external boost fooler is required!

That's from their site... I've been wrong before, but??

Old 11-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Diesel Wrench

A. Yes, all the the softwares in Smarty have modified boost tables in order to allow higher boost without defuelling.
( Except ;SW # 0 and of course Stock ) No external boost fooler is required!
Where in that blurb does it say it does boost fooling? It clearly states the boost tables are modified.

What you need to understand is what a boost fooler actually does and what boost table modification does. All boost information derived from the reading of the MAP sensor and compared to a boost table to determine if it is in the expected range.

If you increase the range of the boost table you will get more boost because the range is greater.

If you clamp the MAP sensor reading to a value that will always be in the range you will get more boost.

Two completely different concepts and implementation. The chosen implementation also has effects in other areas. By fooling the ECU with a MAP reading all the other sub systems that have a hard value that trigger off the boost reading are also fooled. If the boost table is extended you will still get other systems throwing codes or defueling in the range because boost is beyond their operational parameters. The WG control subsystem is the key one to consider.

If you throw a Smarty on an 04.5+ truck and do not shut off the WG, or it doesn't work, you will get no more boost than stock.

If you add a boost fooler and clamp the voltage the ECU sees from the map you will get more boost than stock with no issues.

Smarty does NOT boost fool, it remaps the boost tables. A boost fooler actually clamps the signal from the MAP so it is fooling the ECU. Two different implementations that may have totally different results when you run into probloems and have to trouble shoot.

That and the web site was designed by Italians to whom English is a second langauge. Some things get lost in translation. LOL!!

Old 11-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok, I totally agree with the English as a second language issue!! But, I've got an 06, running it with wastegate turned on and no boost fooler. I'm runnin about 7-8 lbs over stock? Going on what you stated how am I getting the extra boost? I've never thrown a code related to the smarty, but I realize that may be based on the tune I'm running other parts, etc.

I agree with what you said about maps versus locking the signal, just figured the OP was looking to increase boost with what he had. But, if he has an early truck it may not have a computer controlled wastegate. I'm guessing??

Old 11-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Diesel Wrench

I'm runnin about 7-8 lbs over stock? Going on what you stated how am I getting the extra boost? I've never thrown a code related to the smarty, but I realize that may be based on the tune I'm running other parts, etc.
With Smarty you should not get an overboost code until you go over 45 psi.

How are you reading boost, electronic or analog gauge?

How much boost will the truck hold when you hammer it uphill with a load? Not just a spike because it will spike to 35-37 psi with enough fuel then drop back to around stock, 30-32 psi.

The OP has an 05. He has the question posted elsewhere with truck info.

Quick Reply: Overboost code