5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

03 Dodge looses power when warm

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Dodge looses power when warm

Just bought an 03 Dodge 2500. Nice truck runs fine around town but at freeway speeds around 10-15 minutes after initial start will barely climb a hill at the speed limit. I put my foot in it and get very little response and if it down shifts I'm hosed (all rev and no go). After running for awhile the power does come back. Can't figure out what's happening. I've replaced the fuel filter, installed a Banks intake with Super Scoop, I've gone through the APPS reset procedure, checked my ground straps, looked for wiring harness shorts. The codes it's throwing seem to be inconsequential and probably due to the Diablo Predator programmer. That was until I just checked them again. It was throwing P0633, 0602, 2509, and still is... but just now it threw a new more ominous code 0251 (Fuel Injection Pump Mechanical Failure Fuel Valve Feedback Circuit) It still runs the same as I mentioned above so it's not like a complete mechanical failure - Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

What does your fuel pressure look like?

Old 10-14-2011, 01:23 PM

I have no way of determining what my fuel pressure is. It feels like I probably don't have the pressure I'm supposed to have but why would that change after it initially warms up and then comes back to life a little while later? I have the in tank lift pump and there is a yellow paint mark on the cp3... the kind you see from salvage yard parts. I just don't understand why the inconsistancy in the power.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

Well you need to get a fuel pressure gauge. I am willing to bet you are not getting enough fuel.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:37 PM

Yea... I'll need something I can read from the drivers seat. Do you know a good guage that isn't too expensive?

Old 10-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

P0602 Checksum Error

P0251 CP3 Pump Regulator Control

This is indicative of an FCA failure, its the only part on the rear of the CP-3 that has a wiring harness to it.

Obviusly, checking fuel pressure is a good idea to rule that out. Just get an oil pressure gauge from the local car parts store and temp mount it if you don't want to drop the bucks on gauges. Otherwise The EV2 ISSPRO gauges are some of the best.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by stevenmary7
Just bought an 03 Dodge 2500. Nice truck runs fine around town but at freeway speeds around 10-15 minutes after initial start will barely climb a hill at the speed limit. I put my foot in it and get very little response and if it down shifts I'm hosed (all rev and no go). After running for awhile the power does come back. Can't figure out what's happening. I've replaced the fuel filter, installed a Banks intake with Super Scoop, I've gone through the APPS reset procedure, checked my ground straps, looked for wiring harness shorts. The codes it's throwing seem to be inconsequential and probably due to the Diablo Predator programmer. That was until I just checked them again. It was throwing P0633, 0602, 2509, and still is... but just now it threw a new more ominous code 0251 (Fuel Injection Pump Mechanical Failure Fuel Valve Feedback Circuit) It still runs the same as I mentioned above so it's not like a complete mechanical failure - Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on?
I had the same issue , i have a 03 2500 and on long highway trips is would act up just as you describe . What my problem was at normal pedal the FRP was fine but when i would get a little aggressive the FRP would drop to 4,500 psi so my lift pump was going out so i put a fass 95 water / fuel system in and fixed the problem .. but your lift pump feeds your cp3 so be ready to change both . I know it only a matter of time before i replace my CP3 . I found the fass for $575 . Good luck

Last edited by stuie; 10-16-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:46 PM

OK - I've done alot of things since I was on here last and it's still guttless. I've installed a new FCA - nothing, I've installed a new Air Dog II so plenty of pressure to the CP3 now - nothing, The Offroad shop I've been sending it to said "99.9% sure that the rail pressure relief valve is shot" - capped the relief valve - still nothing, I've adjusted the valves - nothing, I found out that my Predator will read the real time rail pressure and boost - looks like there's plenty of pressure and boost. It will puff a little black smoke on take off but then nothing. It just seems like the timing is off or something. It's only throwing a 0602 and 0633 but I'm running the "Performance" Predator tune which usually throws them. I'm at a loss as to what it might be now. My mechanic is scratching his head as well. Any thoughts?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also, when it gets up to operating temperature it stalls constantly even while rolling if I let off the throttle - had to restart it a dozen times this morning - it usually works through this issue and runs without stalling the rest of the day - but still no power.

Last edited by stevenmary7; 01-18-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

torque your fuel tube nuts, they have loosened up

The following users liked this post:
keepitreal (02-01-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 07:28 PM

But wouldn't that cause a hard start issue as well? My truck starts just fine... even right after it stalls.

Quick Reply: 03 Dodge looses power when warm