5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Thinking about buying my first Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying my first Cummins

I'm entertaining the possibility of buying a Cummins to replace my money pit of a Powerstroke 6.0. Obviously nothing is perfect, so what are some common issues Dodge Cummins owners are facing? I'm looking at 05-07 models with CR 5.9L.

Any former Powerstroke owners that switched to Cummins? How do they compare?

Also, I'd appreciate some info on after market parts... What exhaust brand/size gives a throaty (not muffled) sound and helps accentuate the turbo whistle? Also, what cold air intake brands work well with Cummins?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

Always do a LP and if you are going to get an auto be ready to do some tranny mods such as TC and VB. Exhausts are pretty much the same you can get an expandit kit for pretty cheap. I like S&B CAIs, AFEs are good among others just depends on how much you want to spend and what flavor you like.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:55 PM

I should have specified... I'm looking at the 6 speed manual. What do you mean by LP. I have a K&N on my Powerstroke now and I like it alot.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

LP-Lift Pump

K&N are not a choice many diesel folk run. I have heard they do not filter very well. But if you like them then by all means run one.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

AFE Cold air intakes are awesome, but Idk about K&N since ive heard most of them are oiled filters which are no good for diesels at all. A good dry filter is what you want, AFE pro dry filters are cleanable and reusable, I take mine out every oil change and soak it for an hour or two in hot water and dawn dish soap, rinse it off inside and out and let it air dry and throw it back on. And for adequate turbo whistle, remove the silencer ring in the turbo, very simple to do, run a full metal intake (I recommend AFE's of course $280 for intake+filter), and run a 4inch straight pipe, biggest you should really go or else the motor will not run at a good running temp. This is the combo I run in my 07 and it has a really nice deep loud roar to it and going down the highway, I've had friends say they can hear my turbo whistling with thier windows up.

Hope this has helped and whatever you choose hope you enjoy your Cummins!

Old 10-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Thinking about buying my first Cummins

No disrespect, but I run a 5" tbe and my temps are okay. But it's all in what you want.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

I have ran an 6 oh no litre engine and ya there a dispicable thing called a powerstroke. Luckily its stranded my grandfather more than me and I hope he doesnt get stranded on his trip to texas this week. I own a 98 cummins now and it does alot better than 6.0L ever will. Almost same horsepower with better fuel milage mine truck pulls better than a 6.0 up hill or flat. I m gin to put in a an afe air intake for exhaust I just cut the muffler and cat off and threw in a 3'' pipe I had the exhaust flange out for me and clamped er' down. The biggest problem with Cummis are Injection pump generally because no one ever checks how the pressure at the transfer pump and see what it is putting out or makes sure they are workin. The front cover gasket goes out around 200K but thats a good time to kill the Killer dowel Pin. And there front ends, Ball Joints, Tie Rods and Track Bar (This is what causes the Death Wobble when It goes) Front ends go out quick on diesel trucks anyways. The Autotrannys on dodge arent the best but mines been good to me and Ive been good to it. But they will start when hell frezzes over.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have had 2 PSD's. OBS & SD. On my 2nd 3rd gen Cummins. NEVER be another PSD in my driveway.
Cummins will generally: be easier to work on, less expensive to maintain, better economy, outlast PSD, easier power gains, more forgiving, far fewer trips to the shop. You will have a smaller cab over the SD, ride IMO same or better. They all have their weak points and they all will break. Lift pump may or may not give you issue. Tranny worries, minimized w/ 6spd choice. Front end, same as PSD, all depends on how it was taken care of. Otherwise, unlike a PSD, put fuel in and drive it..

Old 10-06-2011, 11:39 PM

Thanks for the info, it has been helpful. I think my mind has officially been made. I'm going to get a Cummins. 05-06 5.9.

Now, I've found a few nice 6-speeds and they're about $32000. I've found a few low mile 2500's with autos for about 27-29,0000. What is the general concern with the automatics? the tranny on my Ford is solid. I want a 6-speed mega cab 3500 SRW, but as I said, they're expensive. Is it dumb to go with the automatic?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

okay, just found a 07.5 2500 with the 6.7L for $31,000. I don't know much about these either... How are the 6.7's? I bet they're lacking with all of the emissions parts on it (dpf, ect)

Last edited by Flymarines09; 10-06-2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-06-2011, 11:56 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not dumb to go w/ auto, just won't "feel" as solid as what your used to. Still a good tranny and will handle some abuse. 06 early 07 (those w/ 5.9) has OD lock out as well as T/H like the 05. Biggest thing IMO, keep it serviced which includes band adjustment. Upgrades galore available.
6.7's you will find same or even a little less $$ than 5.9 due to smog issues. Again, IMO, stay the course w/ 5.9.
Mega cab any year, you will pay $$$$. (I could of bought a NEW 06 Mega 4x4 SLT, in summer of 07, out the door cheaper than most used are now )

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying my first Cummins