5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

My Truck Has Died....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:52 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
Default My Truck Has Died....

Well,

After many, many years of never having trouble of any kind with a Cummins, mine has puked parts all over the road. Occasionally my 06 will completely die, then I restart it and no issue whatsoever, no codes, nothing. In the past 2 days this has been happening almost 2-3 times a day and yesterday it would not restart like always....

When it finally did start it sounded like a lawn mower....not good, not good at all! I limped it back to town at about 40mph, and got it to the dealer where they hooked up the scantool and finally found codes....32 of them...

It seems that I have had a bank of injectors pile up and maybe even a 4th, and maybe the injector pump at the same time...So in the morning I am getting all 6 injectors replaced and if thats not right, then the pump as well.

First breakdown in a Dodge...but it had to happen sooner or later I guess!!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

ya i had lots of problems with both my 06's but i wasnt so easy on em

Old 01-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

how many miles and um.... hours are on the motor?

Old 01-08-2008, 08:09 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by TEXASPOWER
ya i had lots of problems with both my 06's but i wasnt so easy on em
I havent been any harder on this one, in fact maybe easier than any of my previous ones....Maybe I should be driving it harder..

Originally Posted by Benjamin
how many miles and um.... hours are on the motor?
Miles? 80,000kms (48k miles for the US folks)

Hours? Hmmmm....I have no idea, but it runs 12-16 hours a day most days...

Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Bombardier

just for S&G's if you didn't know you *should* be able to hold down the trip button with the key off and turn the key on and do not crank and it *should* show hours in the odometer's place.....

please someone correct me if i'm wrong.... that's just what i've read

Old 01-08-2008, 08:23 PM
BOMBARDIER

I did not know that...my dealer would tell me, but I have never been interested in what it is...

Old 01-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Bombardier

well it might not show up hours.... it'll show up what ever unit of measurement ya'll use up there to tell time.....

Old 01-08-2008, 08:39 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by Benjamin
well it might not show up hours.... it'll show up what ever unit of measurement ya'll use up there to tell time.....
Did you ride a short bus to school???? Just cause you Americans couldnt master Metric (like the rest of the world, yes even the 3rd world countries) doesnt mean that you shouldnt know the Canadian unit for measuring time....

SHEESH!!!

Here is some info for the uninformed:

The Metric Time System
Basic Description
A Metric or Decimalized Time system is, like ABT, based on the solar day (i.e. one revolution of the Earth). This day is then divided into units of tenths, hundredths, thousands, etc. that are used to keep and tell time.

NOTE: Although we are defining Metric Time here based on the rotation period of the Earth, that doesn't mean that we couldn't redefine it based on something more stable (such as the radioactive decay rate of some atom,) as has been done with ABT.

Most proposed day-based decimalized time systems are basically the same in that one tenth of a day is one tenth of a day for all of them. However there are differences between systems, these mainly being the unit names, display format and how locality and universality are handled.

Units
Any system of measurement must have a unit that measurements are expressed in and a standard format for expressing that unit to avoid confusion. Metric Time is no different. However, there are and have been a number of units and formats proposed. Visit the links for sites with a variety of systems.

The most popular unit system (it seems to have been reinvented a number of times) is the one instituted in France during the Revolution along with the Metric System. This system uses hours, minutes, and seconds like ABT but redefines their lengths:

French Revolutionary Metric Time 10 metric hours in a day
100 metric minutes in a metric hour
100 metric seconds in a metric minute
10 days in a metric week (called a dekade)

(Note: I will refer to the above metric second here as an "MT second" to avoid confusion with the official SI second which is equal to the ABT second.)

The main attraction of this is that seconds and minutes are fairly close to their ABT counterparts, allowing people to continue to use expressions like "I'll be done in a few seconds" or "any minute now!" and have them mean the same thing. There are, however, two major drawbacks.

One is that using unit names that are the same as the ABT units could lead to confusion where precision is more important. This is especially problematic with the metric hour which is almost two and a half times the length of the ABT hour -- a significant period of time for a scheduling mishap. This could be solved by always saying "metric hours" and "ABT hours", but this would quickly grow tiresome.

The second drawback is that, while metric minutes and MT seconds are as convenient as their ABT counterparts, the metric hour is a bit ungainly. Blocking out the day in ABT hours is manageable, but a tenth of a day is too long a period to be useful for higher resolution mapping of the day on the scale of appointments, TV show times and such (although it would still have value as a low resolution day-overview).

The obvious solution to the latter problem is to pick a base-ten fraction that gives a more reasonable length of time and promote its use as the basic building block of the day, much as ABT hours and half-hours are used. It will be the unit that time is normally expressed in, except in technical situations. A hundredth of a day (let's call it a centiday here for brevity) is the logical choice for this unit as it is 14.4 ABT minutes. For example: a TV sitcom is 2 centidays long and a typical class session lasts 4 centidays.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Bombardier

showoff.... it's 9:43 PM EST here....

Old 01-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

yes your right , on my 1ton i had 1000's of hours

Quick Reply: My Truck Has Died....