5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need Advice

Hey guys i need some help with a issue thats bugging me. about 8 months ago i got my TC replaced. I picked it up after hours and as i was driving home i noticed that when i reached speeds 65 + that i would get some vibration in the seat and underneath my feet. I didn't think anything of it cause i'd been driving a small car for 2 or three days. Compared to a 3/4 diesel truck they ride like a cadillac. I drive a small car to work as i do have a commute, but this summer i've driven my truck a lot. My issues are that if i'm driving light, as i'm creeping up on the shift to OverDrive, i will get vibration (same as described before). While i'm in overdrive at speeds of 65+ i will get noticeable vibration. Also when i let off the pedal, it feels like i'm driving a ATV or Golf Cart that has down hill breaking? I don't really know what to do, i've taking it back to the Tranny shop and they say they can't find anything? They are good guys and i've never had trouble with them. I'm making a lot of long trips this coming hunting season and i really don't want to get stranded somewhere. Any help is appreciated@

Old 08-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Diesel Fan

Help please! Ttt.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I think the answer is pretty obvious...the TC is probably defective or the flex plate is broken. take it back to the shop and have them replace the TC and inspect the flex plate.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks steved

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by steved
I think the answer is pretty obvious...the TC is probably defective or the flex plate is broken. take it back to the shop and have them replace the TC and inspect the flex plate.
Also would I notice a increase in engine temp when accelerating. When my truck shifts into OD and I see increase in engine temp, nothing crazy but I do see it. I only ask cause I know TCs create a lot of heat and could that be the cause? Of course if the TC is defective? Also my coolkant system is all new.

Last edited by MurphyStrut; 08-21-2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by MurphyStrut
Thanks steved

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also would I notice a increase in engine temp when accelerating. When my truck shifts into OD and I see increase in engine temp, nothing crazy but I do see it. I only ask cause I know TCs create a lot of heat and could that be the cause? Of course if the TC is defective? Also my coolkant system is all new.
Have them check out the TC/ flex plate. Then if everything checks out and you still see rising temps it could be due to hotter outside temps or something else.

Last edited by H.R.D; 08-21-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Diesel Fan

I was thinking the same thing, but it's been doing it since the spring time.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

The minor amount of heat the trans fluid/coolant heat exchanger will pass would probably not show up on the gauge...your probably just seeing engine heat from placing a load on it.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Diesel Fan

Oh, ok. It could be something else then, cause it will do it loaded or empty.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the help guys. I'm taking it in this week, so we'll see?

Old 02-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Diesel Fan

Resurrecting this thread cause I'm still having issue. I took it back to the shop and they said it was driveline. So I got my driveshafts balanced and guess what I'm still getting the same damn vibration!

How can you tell if a TC is bad without just replacing it to see? I will be taking it back and will be pretty stern. I feel like I'm at the doctor and telling him that I feel like **** and he's says I'm ok! Again any onsite is always appreciated.

Quick Reply: Need Advice