5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Something is off with my '05

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm gonna take a WAG here and speculate you honked up the ECM some weird way during the tubo-timer/non-switched/limp-mode parking lot episode. Maybe just needs re-flashed.

See dealer, pay $$$.

Just a WAG.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Well I pulled the intake and the charge pipe off the turbo and did a visual inspection. Everything looked good. I have no in/out shaft play and just a little side to side (normal amount). There was also no evidence of oil.

I checked all the boots from the turbo to the intake manifold and they all were good. I have the cast intercooler, so I'm pretty sure that's okay. The oil doesn't smell like diesel fuel and it passed the halo test. (Drop of oil on a paper towel.) Now I'm really confused!

With some guidence from Vinny at Alligator Performance over the phone, I saw that the blow-by tube was wet with oil and you can see witness marks of how much it was leaking. We pulled off the oil cap while it was running and there was vapor/smoke coming out but not enough pressure to be felt if you held your had over the fill hole.

Props to Vinny and Jimmy (Dog Town Diesel) for all of their help so far. I haven't spent a dime with them in the past and they have spend considerable time on the phone with me answering questions and such. Heck, I was ready to order a PhatShaft 62 from Vinny when he started having me check other things it may be.

Anyway, tomorrow I am going to pull the turbo off to inspect it closer and test the wastegate. I'm going to completely remove the Quadzilla ADR, just in case. I will try again to pull codes (even though I don't have a CEL) and Sunday I'm getting the valves adjusted. After that, hopefully I will have a good answer!

Old 08-05-2011, 07:19 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Need to find out if you got any codes. Sometimes you get a couple, and they don't trip the CEL.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Diesel Wrench

Just scanned the truck for code and there wasn't any stored... On to the next thing!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I'm not seeing anything wrong with the turbo...

Last edited by CreeperSleeper; 08-06-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

It's hard to make 40lbs. of boost with a bad turbo.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Diesel Wrench

Well the valves were way out of adjustment... Got those dialed in and she is a lot quieter now but I still have a bit of blow-by. Because I have only had this truck for a year and I know it was bombed before I got it, I'm going to have it scoped and the ECM reflashed. I'm also going to get the trans serviced, oil changed and degrease the motor so I can watch the blow-by. Hopefully this will take care of everything and it's not an internal issue.

The following users liked this post:
Scotchwhiskey (08-08-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You might try updating the software on the adrenaline also

Old 08-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have someone connect a Snap On scanner and kill each injector to see if all are at least firing the cylinders. I would say you might have popped a head gasket between cylinders.
Something is off with my '05-dodge-head-gasket.jpg

Old 08-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by cummins24
You might try updating the software on the adrenaline also
I would like to do this as well. I am still waiting to hear back from Quadzilla at the momement...

Originally Posted by dcpowell17
I would have someone connect a Snap On scanner and kill each injector to see if all are at least firing the cylinders. I would say you might have popped a head gasket between cylinders.
Attachment 21691
That possibility has definately crossed my mind. I am heading over today to get the truck on the big diagnostics scanner to do just that and to reflash my ECM back to stock. Who knows what the PO did to this truck!

On a hopeful note, I am still not seeing anything dribling out of the slobber tube!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Well it looks like my problems were caused by my valves being way out of adjustment and 2 weak injectors. The valves are taken care of and I will have new injectors as soon as the bank account allows. As of right now they aren't leaking or anything so I'm good for the time being. I will just have to watch it like a hawk!

Big thanks to Jimmy @ Dog Town Diesel, Vinny @ Alligator Performance and Bill @ Source Automotive. And than k you for all of the suggestions on the board. I never would have figured all of this out without you guys helping me!

Last edited by CreeperSleeper; 08-11-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost