Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Valve adjustment? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/77921-valve-adjustment.html)

steved 07-21-2011 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by MrSandman818 (Post 776624)
Before I tear into mine. Are they the typical adjustable screw and lock nut or the stupid shims or pucks? Just wanna make sure since I dont have the manual. Thanks.

Screws...the only tools needed are those to remove the valve cover, a barring tool to turn the engine over, a set of feeler gauges, and the hex wrench and allen wrench to do the actual adjustment. Its not a bad job, just takes patience.

There are a lot of good write ups on the forums on how to do it at home.

NadirPoint 07-21-2011 11:35 AM

You don't even need a barring tool. The engine can be turned with the alternator pulley.

steved 07-21-2011 11:45 AM

Except that you turn the engine the wrong direction, and that it is considered the incorrect way to set the valves.

NadirPoint 07-21-2011 01:09 PM

Bullshit

Originally Posted by steved (Post 776745)
Except that you turn the engine the wrong direction, and that it is considered the incorrect way to set the valves.

Totally. Show where it's written that would be considered "incorrect."

And I don't mean some butthead on a web forum, either. A link or reference to service manual of some sort from a reputable source.

Otherwise, like I said: Bullshit.

steved 07-21-2011 01:37 PM

Show me where it states to use the alternator and not the barring tool? The manual states barring tool...

NadirPoint 07-21-2011 01:50 PM

Circular Motion

Originally Posted by steved (Post 776745)
...that it is considered the incorrect way to set the valves.

Considered by who(m)? You?

The engine goes round 'n round, where it stops nobody knows.

Makes exactly NO DIFFERENCE how it goes around or which direction as long as you know what you are doing.

That seems to be the challenging part sometimes now, don't it - knowing what you are doing? :nope:

Apparently my truck's been running great for years with the valves set incorrectly. :w2:

silverbullet1 07-23-2011 03:08 AM

Please correct me if I'm wrong but checked my valves at 100k and bout to roll 200k and do it again but these are the specs I went by per cummins. The intake valves are set to .010" and the exhaust valves are set to .020". The manual states that if the intake valves are between .006" and .015" that they are within spec and don't require adjustment. The exhaust valves don't require adjustment if they are between .015" and .030".

Super Dave 07-27-2011 11:54 AM

Thats sounds right. But since you are checking them anyway, might as well set them back to factory spec. :tu:

coleshimmin 12-09-2012 05:46 PM

Hey everyone im new to this site but just did a head gasket on my 2005 cummins i have the feeler guages and all the tools just need to know tdc on what cylinders to adjust the valves. can somebody help?

diesel rookie 12-09-2012 07:56 PM

I've adjusted the valves and still hear a tick seems to get worse after pulling job trailer and now noticing a bluish smoke ( its 14'f outside) and now a little black smoke after getting on it has edge ez but never did this before