5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

48RE stuck in first gear. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48RE stuck in first gear. HELP!!!

I have a 2006 CTD with auto 48RE. Did the borg wagner solenoid and transducer kit change around 16K miles ago. About 2 weeks ago something weird happened, after an hr ride to work, I parked the truck. Two or so hrs later I went to start it and it was dead. I finally got it to start and limped to a shop, then had it towed to another shop. Bunch of codes, trans temp and ABS together with a cel came up and then it would not start again. The mechanic called me saying they had pinned out the ECM and diagnosed it to be dead.
I moved the truck to a real diesel shop that specializes in Cummins engines and they go the truck running again, cleaned all harness contacts and terminals, cleared all codes and go the truck running with no more codes.

The twist to the story is that before i the truck broke down it was shifting perfectly but when I drove the truck out of the shop it was clinging on to first gear, once it got to second gear it would shift fine. Now the transmission is stuck in first gear
I dropped the pan yesterday to inspect the wiring and connectors but all seem well. Replaced the filter and put new atf +4 and still nothing, adjusted the front band and the truck still won't shift out of first gear no matter what.
ATF was not bright red but it had 16K miles on it, normal smell, not burnt nor brown in color and the magnet barely had any sludge on it. I checked all external connectors and wires and they all seem fine. I replaced the governor pressure solenoid and transducer last time I serviced the tranny because of a shuttle shift problem.
Could it be a bad solenoid again, could the whole cell/ecm codes had been thrown by a short caused by either the solenoid or transducer?

I'd truly appreciate any help

Old 05-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Sounds like a bad sensor... find someone with a good diagnostic scan tool

Old 05-01-2011, 12:14 PM

Speed sensor?
Would this not throw a cel? There are no codes at this time.
Thanks

Old 05-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Default Re: 48RE stuck in first gear. HELP!!!

Not always

Luke

Old 05-01-2011, 01:53 PM

Sounds like a possibility, I just searched for pricing and its just under $20, I might just order it tomorrow. I don't have anyone local with a scanner

Old 05-01-2011, 03:05 PM

You need to find someone before you start throwing money at it.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:36 PM

Good point but, when I had the shuttle shift problem my 2 local transmission shops told me I needed a new transmission because it was shot... I replaced the governor pressure solenoid and fixed the problem. I can't even think what they'll say this time that the truck is stuck on first gear.
Two weeks ago an independent shop wanted to replace my "shot" ECM for $2400 and my fan clutch that was "bad" as well for $500... a real cummins mechanic cleaned the ECM out of codes and it runs like a top now. (did not charge me a single dollar) but he knows nothing about transmissions.

I am horrified of the dealership so I kind of figure $20 is worth the shot. I understand your point but I feel like I am dead in the water with no decent mechanics around.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:55 PM

How many miles is on your transmission?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Are you sure its starting off in 1st and not 2nd?

Last edited by Diesel Dawgs Performance; 05-01-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-01-2011, 04:08 PM

126k and no, I removed my edge so I can't be sure. I am assuming so because if I pull from first and try to manually shift to second and then D it won't do a thing.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Throwing Money

Originally Posted by Smok'em
Two weeks ago an independent shop wanted to replace my "shot" ECM for $2400 and my fan clutch that was "bad" as well for $500...
I hate this, it is so common these days. They will collect parts and labor money for days and weeks and keep on doing it while the problem is still not fixed.

Who you gonna throw money at, the heehaws trying to rip you off or the truck? At least with the truck you may have some good spare parts left after you guess wrong.

Quick Reply: 48RE stuck in first gear. HELP!!!