5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

i am new to the diesels so this might be crazy ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question i am new to the diesels so this might be crazy ?

some one told me that a 2003 dodge diesel had a ring in the turbo that made it quiet and that could be took out to get a better sound. so is that true because i have a 2003 dodge diesel. and i like the sound of a turbo that u can really here, and one more question is what can be done or what does people do to these trucks that dont cost a arm and leg to maybe make them run better or act meaner then they r ? thank u just dont know much about the diesels

Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

It's called a silencer ring. They are held in place by a snap ring in the opening of the turbo. There are videos on YouTube that show how they are removed. Performance gains are obtained thru aftermarket intakes, bigger exhausts and performance programmers. Aftermarket gauges are a good idea when running performance products on these trucks

Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

There is a ring, it's called a air foil or air director in some cases. Most call it a silencer ring and I wont lie I've taken them out. But besides making your truck "whistle" more it creates unwanted turbulence in the inducer and can actually reduce power, Maybe only 1HP and you may be okay with that? But that additional turbulence (not proven, how could you prove it, it's simple physics) also creates additional stress on the front seals and bearings on the charger and makes it harder to get as MUCH air. It will still get plenty, and honestly in the time you own the truck, it will probably net no results besides more whistle but it's really not good to remove the ring.
Buy an air box, an exhaust and a chip of some type, and spend the rest of your money maintaining your truck!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds good to me if u say it is not good to remove the ring i guess it will stay in there then because i have had enough problem with this truck thank u because it would had came out in the morning because i like the whistle but think u .u might have just save me money