5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

03 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 turbo

I'm lookin at an 03 3500 4x4, 4 door, srw, auto, short bed and I am curious as to what turbo and tranny is on it from the factory, sorry I'm sure a dumb question but I cannot find the answer anywhere

Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The turbo should be a HE341. As for the tranny, it depends on if its an HO or SO truck. If its an HO it has a 48RE. If its an SO it has a 47RE. To determine where its an SO or HO you need to look at the data plate up near the front of the head. It will give you a HP rating. 305HP is an HO. 235HP is an SO. Hope this helps.

Marshall

Old 01-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Diesel Fan

I thought Ho was only in manual?? Anyways thanks for the info, the motor is shot with 300+ k miles I want to put my 02 motor in it and if it has the 47 that'd make life aloft easier

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also a he341 are they controlled by wire or are they like my hx/hy 35-40

Last edited by scottywiest; 01-26-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

HE341 is nothing but a slightly upgraded HY-35.

Build date for what auto trans it has. The 48RE went into production in Jan 03 and all trucks, HO and SO, got the 48RE. If the build date is before Jan 03 its a 47RE and its an SO.

Transplanting a 24V is going to be a problem. The inputs and outputs are not the same for the computerized portions of gauges and controls. Its not a simple thing to do. The trans won't matter one bit but everything else will.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Diesel Fan

Cerb can tell me more about what's computerized??? I cant pull my motor and computers and tap the gauges to make them work?? I kno there has to be a way ways the difference in the guage cluster mounting??? I wonder if the 02 will screw in behind the dash piece???

Old 01-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Diesel Wrench

In the 3rd gen trucks all the dash components are driven off a controller that gets its settings from the ECU. The ECU accepts all the inputs then changes the signals to talk to the cluster controller. The controller takes the data from the ECU and based on its internal maps sets the gauges accordingly. IIRC, there is a whole different communication protocol used to do this. In addition, the ECU is VIN locked and married to the sub processors by the code. If those don't match nothing works and it just throws codes, CELS, and won't run.

The 03's have a PCM that contains the TCM code for controlling the trans but all the inputs it needs to function are feed from the ECU. If it doesn't get the signals the trans just goes into limp mode with no lockup or OD and stuck in 1 gear.

Essentially the cluster, ABS, and PCM will not function. Charging, door locks, lights, controls, etc, are all functions run thru ECU control so there is a good chance it may lock you out of the truck. LOL!

Without just gutting a lot of the electronics it is really, really, hard to transplant a non electronic motor into these trucks. A VP-44 engine needs some inputs to work correctly and sourcing them in the correct manner gets to be problematic becuase of the differences.

Not that it can't be done, but, its not a slam dunk and it WILL be hair pulling to resolve the issues. A whole lot easier to buy a CR motor and install it.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Diesel Fan

Lol well ur a commonrail guy here's the issue with the motor, 1 it will start, 2 it will idle for a min, but u touch the throttle it will smoke like a chimney, it has never had a power added let alone an supermarket part, it has 300+ k miles, now if u take the air breather off and fill a towel with diesel it will run fine till u pull the rag away, I don't kno how to test a cp3 so I cannot do anything with that yet, also what PSI should the lift pump be pushing??? Sorry id love thave the commonrail I just dont kno how much I could spend to git it to run another 2-300k miles

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

sorry for the spelling my smart phone thinks its smarter than me, maybe it is??!!

Last edited by scottywiest; 01-28-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Diesel Wrench

Yeah, damn smart phones are EVIL!!! LOL!

What color is the smoke when it starts smoking?

Does the oil smell like diesel?

LP pressure needs to be higher than 3 psi, normally around 7-9 with the OE setup. Rail pressure needs to be 5000-6000 on crank or it won't start. If it starts without lots of cranking it has good rail pressure. If it dies it could be lack of fuel from the LP or possibly a stuck FCA on the CP-3.

With 300k its just getting broke-in if it hasn't been broken.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Diesel Fan

Lol how do I find the rail pressure??

Old 01-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts
Default Re: 03 turbo

Originally Posted by scottywiest
Lol how do I find the rail pressure??
Rail Pressure Gauge. Id recommed an Isspro EV2 Gauge

Quick Reply: 03 turbo