5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

horse power

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question horse power

how much horse power and torque does a 2003 5.9 cummins with a 5 speed stock have ?

Old 01-08-2011, 01:03 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 338 Likes on 289 Posts

at the wheels?

at the wheels im gonna guess round 250-260

Old 01-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Miller Lite Drinkin'Coach
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

No....a common rail with the five speed in 03 was only a 250/460 engine.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Diesel Fan

ok thanks how much is a banks and smoke switch and what does the banks do and what does the switch do. because i just got the truck and i have not ever had a diesel

Old 01-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Diesel Fan

Enjoy learning about the diesels.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:42 PM

first things first......you need to read everything you can about diesels anything you can get you hands on. Then this smoke switch idea needs to go... When a diesel makes black smoke it is burnt unused fuel, when a diesel takes off you'r going to see a lil black smoke and that's fine because your engine is not making enough air to burn the fuel but as boost presures start to come up and you start spoiling the turbo the black smoke will go away.... now the first thing I would do if you haven't already is get a set of gauges an pyrometer which measures you e.g.t's ( exhaust gas temperature) a boost gauge which measures your turbo boost and on your truck you'll be lucky to be running 25-27 psi of boost at wot. Then you'll need a rail pressure gauge which measures the fuel pressure at the rail. Another one to get is a reaguler fuel pressure gauge which will measure the fuel pressure from the tank to the cp3 that's your high pressure pump. Then this banks thing your talking about..... Unless it's an intercooler or an intake horn it's junk. get a nice programmer like a smarty or a tst..... I've heard that the ppe programmer work really well with the 03-04 engines but I don't know that first hand. but the main thing is to read, read, read.... These common rail engines can make gobs of power if done right.. Now I'm gunna take a wild stab in the dark and say your about 16-20 and I bet you seen a diesel pull from a stop light and make gobs of black smoke everywhere and said I want that... Hey puffin' a lil smoke now and then ain't no thang just don't be like the majority of kids in that age that have a diesel just because it blows smoke... my truck smokes very little and that's the way I like it, not making smoke is using all the fuel that your putting in to the engine. Like a well oiled machine keep asking questions and read all you can I bet that's how 90% of diesel heads learned that's how I did... Oh, congrats on the new diesel buy and welcome to the darkside it's an awesomely fun bumpy road!!!!

Old 01-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Diesel Fan

well i am 21 and i am not after the black smoke some one just said a smoke switch would help on power and the truck is bone stock with 118000 miles i just wanted a little more power because i have had a lot of strong running gas trucks. the reason i want more power is because i pull bobcats, 30 foot boat and lot more of heavy loads. so thanks 4 your help

Old 01-08-2011, 11:49 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Dont pay attention to what fastcr said, dumb post... Anyways, yes, gauges are a must to start. Boost EGT and fuel pressure to start. Or theres a few programers out there that have that option built in as a feature. Second the lift pump "feeds fuel from the tank to the injection pump" in the early years 03-04.5 suck. But if yours burned out by the previous owner it could have a in tank retrofit kit. Not much better but itll work. I'd def save some money for a better aftermarket clutch as well. With the new power and towing issues that will be a weak link more sooner than later. But yes, reading and searching will be your friend. dont rush into anything and have fun!

The following users liked this post:
Captain Call (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Diesel Fan

i got the truck from my step dad i had to put 6 injectors in it then took lift pump off and put it in the tank and right as we speak i got the trans out because the main case busted and i am going a head and putting a good clutch in it but what is a good dot com to find gauges on and what gauges do i get, like 3 of them a fuel, boost and something else right and by the way thanks

Old 01-09-2011, 12:07 AM

Ask some of the part dealers on here there the best and all very good at what they do...

Quick Reply: horse power