5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

No power after warm up

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:08 PM
djl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power after warm up

Hi guys, about 4 months ago I was traveling from Oklahoma to Nevada with my 37' fifth wheel when i got near denver I got real low on fuel. When I finally found a place to get some exiting the interstate the engine cut out. I made to the pump filled up seemed alright. Got into Denver coming out of a toll booth going through the gears it made a bang like a tire popped and the check engine light came on. I checked the codes but I don't remember what they were. Made it to an rv park the next morning went to move the trailer and the truck was spittiing and sputtering and wouldn't pull the trailer without almost dying. Parked the trailer Changed the filter was kind of dirty didnt fix it so i took it to a truck shop they checked it with the modis found nothing. They also checked all the air intake system for leaks found nothing. The boost still gets up to like 30 psi. They never found anything. Stayed another night at the park. The next morning left for Nevada it didn't seem like it had the power it should but I limped it in anyway. When I got to Nevada it started losing the power after I ran it for like ten minutes it seemed so I took it to another shop they drove it around and checked the boots again and hooked up the scan tool they found nothing charged $300. After that I bought the fuel pressure gauge. It was reading between 5 and 7 psi. I ordered the fuel boss installed it and was getting 17psi. When I drove it around it would drop to about 10 psi. When it warmed up and I lose all power it will drop to like 7psi and not come back up until I shut it off and start it back up. When the power drops off the rail pressure drops off as well. It gets down to like 2000 - 4000 psi range. Last I checked it's been a little while. I also replaced the FCA and the cascade overflow with no change. After that I capped the fuel rail thinking the pressure relief valve may be gone that didn't help either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ps this my first post so if it would be better off somewhere else just let me know

Last edited by djl; 01-04-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello and welcome to DB!

Even though I don't claim to be an expert and there are people on here that will know more about this that I do, it sounds to me like an injection pump problem. Maybe by running it dry and not bleeding the fuel system something broke.

I would take it to a well known experienced shop that deals a lot with pumps and is able to rebuild them.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:10 PM
djl

Thanks Horns, that was what I was thinking it probably was. I was kind of trying to avoid it but at this point I could have probably bought two of them

Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

Usually but not always it will throw a code if the CP3 is bad. I'm pretty sure on the CR's that they have a self bleeding fuel system so that shouldn't have caused the problem. It def sounds like a fuel problem your rail pressure should be up around 20000-27000 psi. I am willing to bet it is the CP3. I would also check compression.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

i hope you uncapped the the rail!The truck should run fine with 7psi 12 is max if you don't race otherwise it will prematurely wear out the CP3! Sounds like a Cp3 failure.
Give todd a call at T & C Diesel Performance.
(612) 889-1734

1060 118th Ln NE
Minneapolis, MN 55434 45.1858 -93.2425

Old 01-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Check TQ on your cross over tubes, sounds like they may have loosened up and your bleeding rail pressure off when its warm.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 PM
djl

Originally Posted by cerberus60
Check TQ on your cross over tubes, sounds like they may have loosened up and your bleeding rail pressure off when its warm.
Thanks, I think I'll check that tomorrow it's suppose to be a little warmer I think. Also wouldnt there be signs of fuel around the tubes or in the oil? It wont hurt to check them. I think those injectors only have about 5000 or 6000 miles on them.

I imagine you have to take all of the injector lines off to check them don't you?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by dangerous1965
i hope you uncapped the the rail!The truck should run fine with 7psi 12 is max if you don't race otherwise it will prematurely wear out the CP3! Sounds like a Cp3 failure.
Give todd a call at T & C Diesel Performance.
(612) 889-1734

1060 118th Ln NE
Minneapolis, MN 55434 45.1858 -93.2425
I plan on it. Haven't yet, the main reason for me capping the rail was to rule out the pressure relief valve leaking off

Last edited by djl; 01-06-2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Diesel Wrench

When the TQ tubes loosen they just leak pressure back into the fuel return gallery in the head and cycle it back to the tank. You won't see any fuel in the oil unless you crack a body.

It could be the CP-3 gone bad but if it runs better after you shut it off and runs good before its up to temp I would suspect the cross over tubes. Since the install is fairly new I would check there first.

To TQ the tubes correctly you need to remove each rail to cross over line. If the TQ process is not done correctly they will loosen and cause problems. If the tubes are not scotch brited, checked carefully, and installed correctly you will fight rail pressure bounce and intermittent issues.

These HPCR systems are not very forgiving for short cuts.

The fuel pressure dropping like that is definitely weird though. Almost makes me wonder if you don't have a bad battery or connection that is causing the problems. One battery with a bad plate will cause all manner of issues when its running and reset when you shut it off and start again. The injectors require 22 volts to fire and if the voltage is dirty they run like crap intermittently.

You need to capture any codes to get an idea what is up though, make sure to write down any you get.

Last edited by cerberus60; 01-06-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 AM
djl

Should I take them out or just make sure they're at 37?

Also how would I go about checking if my batteries are up to par or not?

Last edited by djl; 01-07-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by djl
Should I take them out or just make sure they're at 37?

Also how would I go about checking if my batteries are up to par or not?
Just retorque first and see if that helps.

Have the batteries tested for adequate load holding and make sure all your posts and body grounds are good.

The following users liked this post:
djl (01-12-2011)

Quick Reply: No power after warm up