5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

What is 2005 dodge cummins problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What is 2005 dodge cummins problems?

I 'm getting ready to get a 05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 6 speed and I was wandering what I need to look at when buying the truck and what to look for. 83,000 miles. I think its got 20 inch wheels on it, no lift.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you test drive it, get on some concrete (NOT ASPHAULT!!) and lock it in 4WD. Turn the wheel all the way to the left or right and slowly creep. The tires should jerk and chirp. If not the 4WD could be jacked.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Lift pumps are also a common issue. Slap and Air Dog on there and it will make a big difference.

Last edited by Here_Have_A_Bullet; 01-04-2011 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Diesel Wrench

Anything else i should know?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Diesel Fan

No other big issues come to mind. All trucks have their minor problems here and there. The 04.5 to 07, 5.9 is a great motor and put out 325 stock. I used to have a 97, now I have an 06. Honestly I love the cummins, it's farm-bred simplicity makes it one tough SOB. If you are planning on hopping it up an auto tranny WILL eventually fail though. CARFAX is an amazing tool as well. If it's a dealer, request it. If it's a private seller it's well worth a few bucks to save alot of heartache down the road. Just use your sound judgement and don't rush it. Hope this helps brother.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Diesel Wrench

Anything else i should look at like plastic intercooler boots. How it starts? injectors?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Diesel Fan

Hmmm, check out the #4 injector line post at the top of this forum. It has some useful info on a somewhat common problem. Other than that, I haven't come across too many problems.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Diesel Fan

wat is the past of this truck?? does it have a programmer already on it does it have a 5th wheel hitch?? good things to look at im not saying if it did have it i wouldnt buy it but if it does you would defiantly need to pay more attention during the test drive when look at the truck pop the hood and look at the exhaust manifold if theres a brass plug in it, it more than likely had a programmer on it at one time. good luck man you'll love the truck, it took me a year to find mine but ill never look back

Old 01-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Diesel Wrench

it has a goose neck ball it never has had a chip on it.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Here_Have_A_Bullet
No other big issues come to mind. All trucks have their minor problems here and there. The 04.5 to 07, 5.9 is a great motor and put out 325 stock. I used to have a 97, now I have an 06. Honestly I love the cummins, it's farm-bred simplicity makes it one tough SOB. If you are planning on hopping it up an auto tranny WILL eventually fail though. CARFAX is an amazing tool as well. If it's a dealer, request it. If it's a private seller it's well worth a few bucks to save alot of heartache down the road. Just use your sound judgement and don't rush it. Hope this helps brother.
this is actually my brother's choice for aiding him in his business. i did not hear any negative comments for this truck from him. it may not be as fuel efficient with other truck manufacturers but the towing power of dodge is superb. so if ever i will be getting my own truck what will be the reminders on the engine part? any leaks mean NO(negative) already?
ive been canvasing trucks last week and i have seen one with a little bit of leak in the distributor part. the guy said i just need to replace the gasket but what if it is the whole distributor? that will be a pain in the ****. so i just look again for another seller. anyway sorry for highjacking this thread. just researching a lot so i know what are the do's and dont's in buying second hand vehicles.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

This is probably a given... But check the front end as well

Quick Reply: What is 2005 dodge cummins problems?