5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

weird acting truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default weird acting truck

Yesterday i started up my truck let it warm up a couple min just not as long as i normaly do and went about a quarter mile up the road and my truck just shut off and didnt want to start again at first but once s it started again i had no problems wit it at all i drove about 60 miles today and it didnt act weird at all just wondering if anyone has a clue what could have happen. Was it just to cold temp was about 21 degrees and the truck wasnt plugged in or did it warm up very long 4 min at most . The truck is an 06 wit an edge juice wit attitude and airdog fuel pump intake an exhaust aand clues to what happened would be greatly appreciated would hate to have it happen again and b stuck on the side of the road thanks

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

sry forgot the make of the truck it is an 06 ram

Last edited by rsexton721; 12-28-2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe gelled fuel or water in fuel

Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Diesel Fan

just started acting up again today while driving felt like it was loosing all its power for maybe half a second then getiing it back did this about 4 or 5 times in a row then right back to driving normal

Old 12-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Diesel Fan

Mine did that when I bought in new in 2003, the dealership told me the changed the ecm but who knows they may have just reconnected the cables but you might want to look at those connections, mine is located on the driver side engine block.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Diesel Fan

well my fuel pressure gauge is bad in the truck so i hooked up a new gauge today and i only have about 2 psi going into the injection pump from the airdog (so im assuming this is my problem) but the airdog sounds like its running changed the fuel filter didnt help and tried calling airdog tech support but they are closed till monday for the holidays

this would probably explain why the truck acts up the higher the program is turned up and the more gas you get it hope it is a simple fix all my connections under the hood look like they are ok

Last edited by rsexton721; 12-30-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-30-2010, 10:36 PM
cap
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

something maybe clogging the airdog. If you saw when you installed the airdog there is a screen type thing on the side of the pump comming from the tank. and as far as 2 psi goes yea that will make the truck run like crap.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Diesel Fan

I have a Fass pump, I am sure the airdog seperates the air from the fuel like the Fass and returns it to the tank. you may Have a leak on the pickup side pulling alot of air into the pump, Mine doesn't have a pickup pump in the tank does yours? if so you might be pulling through it causing you problems as well.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:00 AM
Diesel Fan

mine just has the draw straw in the tank ill check that screen and i will check for leaks i tomm if i get time hopefully thats all it is the pumps only been on the truck for about 2 months and it still sounds like it running so i really cant see it being the pump going bad

Old 12-31-2010, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just went through this.. fuel supply issue. Mine posted a p0148 I think. I got replies saying I had a bad cp3 this that. I changed the fuel filter and it ran fine. Still low pressure because factory lift pump croaked. I since added cat filters and a holley blue which croaked before test drive was done. Went got another and fine since With a stretched spring I have 12psi wot. I set up a bypass to keep fuel from sitting in pump spinning and it works great so far.

Moral of the story you need fuel pressure. Also I have hours and hours fabricating cat filters and modular quick change holly pumps. I have two and can swap out in let than 5 minutes.

Real Moral.. Get Airdog and watch more football.

I am in process of adding a check valve to let fuel suck past the holley until I can fix it conveniently. Total project cost including gas and time looks like national debt compared to a 499 airdog...

I usually test with a hose running back into tank filler using the 3 doollare clear plastic stuff from home depot then toss it. You can see bubbles and flow rate and it slides on the barbs easy.

If running airdog through oem filter open the drain turn on key and see if it dribbles or pisses hard. Good Luck

Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Diesel Fan

so its not the screen nor is it the filter or the water seperator or the was it sucking air from anywhere and pure flow's tech support never bothered to call the shop that i dropped my truck off at because i dont have anymore time to deal with it and on top of it all my car i use to get back and forth to work broke down and so now im really f**ked until my trucks fixed

The shop my truck is at just talked to airdog and they are going to send me out a new pump under warrenty

Last edited by rsexton721; 01-04-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: weird acting truck