5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Stumped on Exhuast what to do.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped on Exhuast what to do.

Hey All,

I'm stumped at what I should do, I just got back from a local shop here. They do nothing but Exhuast's. I've got a 2006 2500 Dodge SLT LWB 4x4 with the 4" stock exhuast.

Now the question, do I just cut out the cat and muffler or do I run a new 5" straight pipe? For doing just the 5" straight pipe it is going to run me $1100cdn, cutting the cat and muffler out it will be $350cdn or do I go with an aftermarket exhuast system in 5"????

I'm lost..........

Old 12-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, what we did, I kept the 4", got a MBRP cat delete pipe for $57 and replaced the cat. with that, and we took the stock muffler off and I put some regular 4" exhaust pipe from an 18-wheeler store, which cost me $13 for about 40" of it. We did it by ourselves and I love the sound of it and the money I saved. I almost bought a Farm Boy Diesel 5" TB but I'm glad I didn't.
Supposedly, the 5" will make a deeper sound but really isn't needed unless your making major power.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

yer system only need replaced from cat back, the down pipe is already great

no need for 5 inch....4 is plenty

Old 12-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts
Old 12-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks guys,

Oh and Whit, nice looking swamp donkey, I let one pass this year in British Columbia that would be 50" spread! Breader for next year!.

Thanks again guys.

Rob

Old 12-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a flo pro turbo back it cheapest and best fitting ive installed a few kits the flo pros the easyest most of the kits ive opened have had the mufflers and muffler delete pipes in one box...ur only in van if u felt really compelled if the local shops are raping u that bad theres always bc ferries im on the rock

Old 12-10-2010, 06:01 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Haulin',

I went with a stainless 4" mandrel bent system, turbo back, from MBRP for around $500. The difference between the stock 4" and the mandrel bent 4" was substantial. Not too aweful loud, way better spool up, and the best part is the better fuel economy! I installed it in my garage in a couple of hours, the hardest part was getting the old system off. A good sawzall worked wonders for it. I ditched to cat and stock muffler, and that was probably the biggest part of gaining the spooling and mileage increases. You're getting raped by that shop. Be a DIY'er and save enough for a good exhaust manifold while you're at it! The biggest thing to remember, in my opinion, is to ditch that 4" crush-bent stock pipe, completely!

Whit, my brotha... I had to leave AK to go do this ridiculous Pakistan flood relief and missed moose season all together this year! I even had my uncle driving up from Michigan when I got the word to go oversees. However, I am on my way home (in Okinawa, Japan for the night) and when I get home, I have my new Bilsteins and an AFE Bladerunner exhaust manifold to keep me busy for a day! I hope the moose haven't all been taken by the time I get back! No moose in Pakistan. Lots of Taliban, though. Both are fun to shoot!

Last edited by North Pole Hooker; 12-10-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by North Pole Hooker
Haulin',

No moose in Pakistan. Lots of Taliban, though. Both are fun to shoot!
Bag one of those fokkers for me!

Old 12-10-2010, 10:12 PM

$1100? Yeah that is definitly a rapeing taking place. I put in a piece of 4" flex (muffler and cat delete) from my down pipe to the manderel bent 90 that penetrates my bed, dual stack kit, 6"x48" chrome bullhauler stacks, and all my clamps and i have less than $700 in my exhaust. It damn sure gives you that deep cummins sound.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks guys, I talked with a buddy that was laughing at me for going to that shop, then when he asked his mech where they send there work trucks (Garbage trucks) to for repairs it is the same place!!!!!!

What to do what to do, I will be thinking this one over Xmas!! As i want my truck loud, ain't diesel's supposed to be loud!!!!! I'm deaf anyways from my Harley!

As Dodge makes it Cummins Shakes it!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Stumped on Exhuast what to do.