5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

04 dodge cummins 3500 truck runs for like 10 sec and shuts off i think bad cam sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 dodge cummins 3500 truck runs for like 10 sec and shuts off i think bad cam sensor

i woke up this morning to go to work jumped up in the truck to start it and let it warm up (do to this lovely ohio weather) it started to idel funny its done this befor were it ideled funny and it ended up costing me 3,000 bucks in motor work it melted the piston and valves were stuck open and i also had 2 bad injectors.... now idk what the problem is it sounds to me like a bad cam sensor plz help ..p.s idk if this could be any help but when i was on my way to work i was going down 11 and my truck started to stutter but it picked back up and took off fine...

Old 12-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Almost sounds like the fuel lift pump failed...have you had it retrofitted with the intank pump, or does it still have the fuel bowl mounted lift pump??

Old 12-08-2010, 06:35 PM

no it still has the fuel bowl mounted lift pump

Old 12-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Diesel Wrench

Can you hear the pump run when you turn the key to run? Should buzz.

You may be able to open the water drain and see if you get fuel pumped (not dribbled) out...

I know Genos Garage handles replacements...not sure if other vendors handle them or not...

Old 12-08-2010, 06:56 PM

ok ill try thanks for your help by the way... that but the fule pump does buz when u turn the key on

Old 12-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Diesel Wrench

Should still verify fuel delivery...they have been known to shear the pump shaft and still run the motor.

Did the CEL illuminate? Keep in mind there are TWO sensors, the cam sensor and crank sensor...I believe they are the same part number, for two locations.

Also check for a bare/worn wire that touches the AC compressor...although it is part of the AC compressor wiring, it also is part of the crank sensor circuit and has been known to cause issues. I believe their is a stickied thread at the top of this forum showing its location (on edit, I see they have removed it from the stickied threads)...and although I never posted them here, they are my photos from my 04.5.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought. I had the same thing go on with my 06 and it just happened to be the sentry key battery going dead. Might want to change the batteries and see if that helps, just an idea.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When is stutterd, did it blow any white smoke? Might be a sticky/stuck injector. Mine's done that twice. And sometimes it'll run/idle rough. If I shut it down, give it a second, and restart it, it always acts fine. Just a shot in the dark.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Diesel Fan

check the codes... that'll tell u if its the cam/crank sensor. My 03 cam sensor acted up just like what u described a couple times.
Cycle the key three times to the on position and it will read the codes in the mileage readout...

Old 12-11-2010, 12:48 AM

didnt 04 have fuel injector porblems? how many miles have you put on it since you had the previous problems fixed? might be the injectors going bad again.

I have an 04 i just got it and the previous owner put a FASS fuel system on it which i am very happy they did i hear that gets rid of the problem.
the fass system is an electric motor mounted under the cab with two large filters that boosts the fuel pressure and seperates impurities from the diesel.

they also instaled a fuel pressure, turbo boost and pyrometer guage the if you have them the fuel pressure guage would help to tell you if your pump is giving enough pressure or not. if you dont it could burn your engine up..

with my fass mine goes from 14 then when i step on the throtle it goes to 11 roughly. just my 2 cents worth.

idk what the pressure would be without the FASS system on it..

if i am incorect on any of this information correct me there will be no offence taken

Last edited by m_87; 12-11-2010 at 12:51 AM.