5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

truck stuck in liimp mode...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default truck stuck in liimp mode...

Get p0973 for code. I clear it and it comes right back. How do I make it go away. Is it the governor pressure sensor or what... its the low circut voltage somethin or another code. I know which plug it is on the transmission. Need the fix. Gonna trade it off and it did this while it was bein test drove. I replaced the neutral safety switch and same thing...

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Sry it musta double posted

I found this figured I'll post it in case someone else encounters this prob. I'll work on mine tomorro to see if i can find the prob.
the full detailed instructions are at this link: ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ripster74/2010-07-21_015037_p0.pdf

Monitored and Set Condition:
P0973-TRANSMISSION OVERDRIVE CIRCUIT VOLTAGE TOO LOW
When Monitored: Continuously with ignition on.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY DTC PRESENT
3-4 SHIFT SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
FUSED B+ CIRCUIT OPEN
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN
3-4 SHIFT SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
TRANSMISSION RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
3-4 SHIFT SOLENOID CIRCUIT SHORT TO OTHER CIRCUITS
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY - POOR CONTACTS
3-4 SHIFT SOLENOID
ENGINE CONTROL MODULE
INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS

I love google

These codes would indicate the problem is low or no voltage in the transmission overdrive circuit. I would start by checking the #5 fuse in the fuse block under the hood. If it is OK, next check for voltage at the transmission control relay. Flip it over and you'll find the terminals on the bottom are labled. Start the engine, and check for power on pin 30 and 86. These should be pretty close to battery voltage. Then check for ground on pin 85. This is what turns on the relay. If you find these three to be OK, go down to the 8 way transmission connector. Use a paperclip and backprobe the yellow/orange wire in pin 1. Make sure you get good contact on the terminal, backprobing these seems to take a little extra effort to make contact. It would be a good idea to use a headlamp bulb here. Take a jumper wire to ground, and connect it to one side of the bulb. Take another jumper wire to the other bulb terminal, and use this wire to touch to the paperclip. It's a really big test light. This way you will be pulling some amperage through the wire, checking it's internal condition. Make sure the bulb is as bright as it would be if you hooked it directly to the battery. If all seems good in that circuit, one last thought is to check the neutral safety switch. I have seen a bad NS switch throw these codes before on this transmission.

Last edited by bullfrog8813; 11-11-2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost