5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries?

Does anyone know if having only one battery installed on 2005 Dodge 3500 isb commonrail system would cause injector problems? meaning HEAVY! smoke? and/or tranny problems? u know the 48re. Guess I'm wondering if elect. system senses the missing battery and fails or struggles?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Nope. Did this start after you took the battery out? Which one did you remove I'm assuming the Pass side one. Did you route the small wires to the other battery?
What kind of tranny problems? How many miles on injectors?

Old 11-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor- Jags Diesel
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nope thats all I run in the drag truck and the sled puller. The sled puller is a '05. Check for codes.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Default THX for the confirmation! this site rocks!!

Let me tell yall what I know..... bought truck from dummy who did not know how to abuse a diesel!! I know the engine most likely took on water. Air filter was sucked in with mud caked in the intake box. Truck sat up for a while due to he didn't know what to do. I changed all the fluids and of course air filter. Truck did not want to start!! finally.... I did the old Ford 7.3 trick and poured diesel down intake while spinning engine! Busted off! Let it idle for a while and it did so OK. Then throttled it a bit and it acted like a ford runaway!! u know revd. to past red line, thought it was going to grenade!! killed the ignition and it still run away at max rev. finally die. scratch head day or so. tried crank it again, it sound like main bearing knocking! I am sick at this point. friend tells me he had a fly wheel break and sounded the same! Soooo pulled 48re and 273-d togather. Fly wheel loose!!! All 8 Flex plate bolts to crank shaft where backed out about .250". Torque conv. had hammer marks where the flex plate fasteners hit face of conv. (enough to dig into face a bit) fixed all this, install new front pump seal and reinstall. not want to start so again force it to start. it revs high, but not red line. smokes like a chimmeny!!!! I mean RICH! Finally ruff idle with entire nieghbor hood darkened by my soot. discusseded because I didn't understand the common rail system...............here I am. Is it as simple as injectors? is it the part under valve cover? or part that connects to injector from the rail? I NEED HELP! I EVEN HATE TO ADMIT IT! DON'T TELL MY WIFE I ASK FOR HELP....LOL I have diesel parts and trucks I would trade for help. whatever it takes to keep me from the dealer!!! OOO! also, the headlights blink and the dash lights blink codes I assume. and tranny don't pull. can tis be as simple as the front pump. can I purchase a computer to hook up to truck like dealer??? if so where?? Thanks for the comradery! I look forward to chewen da fat wit yall!! when I get time I roam the site!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

get a scanner and hook it up it will help a lot to find the problem. they sell em at autozone they aint the best but they beat nothing

The following users liked this post:
khs1241 (11-02-2010)
Old 11-02-2010, 01:25 PM

Thx. haven't darkened the door of an autozone in approx. 10yrs. loooks like i'm on my way!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

im sure others sell them. i know the walmarts around here sell them but i dont know how good they are

Old 11-02-2010, 02:05 PM

Do they plug in under dash? do the interpret the codes? U know approx. prices? They call it a SCANNER?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

odbII scanner is why i here tehm called. i bought mine at AZ for like 270 but ive seen them around 50-80 range and yes they plug under the dash

Old 11-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got one from walmart and have used it a lot, paid about $80 for it, plug it in and write down the codes it puts out and do a google search on them

Quick Reply: Batteries?